Note: Coroner, Huntingdon Co., PA, 28 Oct 1788, page 695, Vol III, Pennsylvania Archives Signed letter to the Honourable House of Assembly in Philadelphia on 20 Feb 1779 concerning Inhabitants on the Juniata, pages 241-242, Papers Relating to the War of the Revolution, Vol XII, Pennsylvania Archives Souvenir Historical Book Issued in connection with the Sesqui-Centennial Celebration of Huntingdon County Pennsylvania By the Huntingdon County Historical Society 1787 ? 1937
When David McMurtrie came to Huntingdon in 1776-77 one of the few houses was a Tarvern kept by Mr. Ludwig Sills. The first settlers in Huntingdon were Benjamin Elliott, father-in-law of David McMurtrie, Abraham Haynes, Frank Cluggage, Mr. Ashbrough and Ludwig Sills.
List of House-holders 1796
Sells, John, hatter, 413-415 Penn. Sells, Ludwig Sells, Samuel
The same names appear on the assessment for 1797, except Jonathan Cutlip, removed; (widow Eshelman), Linkswiler, Lewis Metz, Adam Smith and Dennis McAvoy, but with the addition of Alexander King, 229-231Mifflin.
From the date of the first settlement until 1771, the territory formed a part of Cumberland County. On the 9th of March of that year it became a part of Bedford County, and on the 20th day of September, 1787, the event which this book celebrates, it was erected into Huntingdon County. The town of Huntingdon was named in the act to become the seat of justice and the courts to be held at the house of Ludwig Sell, until a Court House could be built. History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania By J. Simpson Africa
Philadelphia: Louis H. Everts 1883 Press of J. B. Lippincott & Co., Philadelphia
Franklin Township, Early Settlers and Old Surveys
Page 441: Huntingdon in the Olden Time.
1782 assessment Huntingdon Township, Bedford County, Pennsylvania, owners of lots and taxable livestock.
Houses Lots Horses Cattle Sheep Solomon Sills 1 1 0 0 0 Ludwick Sills 2 4 2 4 5 Anthony Sills 1 2 1 1 5 Henry Ashbough 1 2 1 2 0 John Ashbough 1 1 2 2 0
Page 441 ? 442: 1788 assessment, signed by Ludwick Sells, assessor et al.
Sells, Anthony, 1 cow, 1 house, 2 lots Sells, Ludwick, 300 st., 1 horse, 5 cows, 1 negro, 2 houses, 4 lots
Statement of the account between William Smith, D. D., and those persons who have engaged the payment of the taxes that should be yearly assessed on on the thousand acres of out-lots, as per general lease of Sept. 30 A.D. 1783, and others that have signed since, and for the year 1788.
Original Owner Acres Present Owner Ludwick Sell 5 Ludwick Sell Anthony Sell 7.5 Anthony Sell 3 [3/4] acres Alexander Erwin, 3 [3/4] acres Abraham Sell 4 Patrick McSherry Ludwick Sell 2.5 Ludwick Sell Estate of Jacob Hall 6 Ludwick Sell Charles Bruderline 5 Ludwick Sell. 3 acres John Dean 2 acres Early Buildings, etc.
The first courts were held at the house of Ludwick Sell, located on the south end of lot 7 in the plan of the town.
Page 444: Allegheny Street, North Side
Ludwick Sells kept a tavern at Nos. 218 and 220. The property was afterwards owned by Abraham Haines
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.