Note: George Weeks is a successful farmer of York Township, Dane County, Wisconsin. His grandfather, David Weeks, was a native of Vermont, but later removed to Jefferson County, New York, near Watertown, where he had a farm. There he died when eighty-two years of age. He had married in Vermont and reared the following children: (1) Holland, who became the father of our subject; (2) Mary, married John Herbert, and he died on the farm four miles north of Watertown; (3) Esther, married W. W. Wager, and lives in New York City; (4) Sallie, married Mr. Ferris, and lives in Mishawaka, Indiana, where he was an early settler; (5) David, married Miss May Campbell, died in St. Lawrence County, New York; (6) a brother died when young; and (7) Belsoria, married Morton Turner, and resides at Potsdam, New York. Holland Weeks, the father of our subject, was born in Guilford, Windham County, Vermont, in 1800, there went to school and attended to the farm duties, as did the little New England boys of that day. At Watertown and Hermon, St. Lawrence County, he engaged in lumbering, farming, and merchandising until 1850. He married Clarissa D. Ingalls, who was born in Ellisburg, New York, and commenced married life in Brownville, where he became a successful business man, but later lost much of his wealth and removed to St. Lawrence County. Here he engaged in merchandising for a time, then took up a farm, which was heavy timber, cleared it and burned the timber, as it had no market value. In 1850 he started for Wisconsin, coming by rail and boat to Milwaukee with his wife and five children, his wife going to Jefferson County, as she had some brothers there. He rented a farm and was making money, but poor crops threw him back again, and he removed then to Dane County and there rented a place on section 11, where he engaged to have half the crops. There was a log house on the place and the family moved into it, and here he had good crops, raising wheat, barley and corn, which was marketed in Milwaukee, where it was sold to teamsters. Barley brought twenty-eight cents and wheat about the same. Columbus was the nearest point where groceries could be obtained. Here the family lived about one year and then removed to a place on section 15, where they lived for three years. Here was a log house, and forty acres were broken and crops were good, but at this time the farm was sold. He then rented a farm on section 1, and here had good crops, lived economically, and remained three years. During this time he bought eighty acres in section 14, but this was unimproved, and with his son he then rented the Huntington farm for three years, continuing successfully. In the meantime the eighty acres were broken, a house was built, and by the time his lease on the other farm was out he could move upon his own place. He had married in Jefferson County in 1834, and six children were born: (1) Edmund M., who married Mary Kinney, and died in St. Croix County; (2) George, our subject; (3) Charles E., married three times, his present wife having been Martha Poe, and he lives at Fairbury, Nebraska; (4) Mary, married R. W. Rexford, and lives in Fairbury; (5) Charlotte, married Mr. Vose, and lives in Spokane Falls, Washington; and (6) Lewis A., deceased. The subject of this sketch was born in Brownville, Jefferson County, New York. His youth was spent at home and he went with his parents to St. Lawrence County, where he attended school and had the advantages of an academy for one term after coming to Wisconsin. When he was nineteen years of age he bought his time of his father, paying him $50 a year, and hired out to work on a farm at $18 a month. During two summers he worked on the farm and attended school in the winter, making enough to pay his way, and then he bought three pairs of oxen. His brother had three yoke and this made a breaking team and they went into the business together from $2 to $5 per acre. After coming to Wisconsin he taught school winters, boarding around, an experience which must be endured to properly appreciate. Later he bought one-quarter of the eighty acres purchased by his father. In 1859 he purchased with his brother, Charles E., eighty acres adjoining the tract of his father, and here our subject labored hard. He ditched, fenced, improved and cropped some of it and not only succeeded in paying for it, but bought out his brother's interest in 1861. He built a little house, 14x22, and on 09 December 1860, he was married to Miss Helen Manning from New Jersey. Until 1862 he lived with his parents and then removed to the little house and lived there until 14 August 1862, when his wife went home to her people and he enlisted in Company A, Twenty-ninth Volunteer Infantry. That year he had an immense crop, but after enlistment he stacked it, hired a man to thresh it and started to the front. He enlisted as a private, but in Camp Randall was commissioned Second Lieutenant and was sent to Helena, Arkansas, and to Mississippi, remaining there marching up and down through the swamps all winter. He went up the White River on picket duty, but in the spring, or rather 11 February 1863, he was made First Lieutenant. The exposure of the winter had been too severe and when the army was around Vicksburg the physician advised his return home on sick leave. Our subject was so loath to leave his post that he did not obey the surgeon until 30 June, and when he reached home his weight was only ninety pounds. In the course of two months he began to improve, gained rapidly, re-enlisted in February and was commissioned recruiting officer, and with C. E. Warner raised a company of 143 men in the city of Madison in seven days. One hundred men were selected from this number and formed into Company B, Thirty-sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and then our subject went to the Army of the Potomac, reaching there on the morning of the battle of Spottsylvania Court House. He went into the Second Army Corps (Hancock's), and took part in nearly all of the battles up to the time of the surrender of Lee, during this time having a siege of eight weeks with typhoid fever. Two days before the battle of Cold Harbor he was sent to Chapin's Farm and at this place commanded the company and lost forty men out of his sixty. He was mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky, and he returned home, with 25 of the 100 who had started out. On 27 June 1864, he was promoted to be Captain and took part in all the battles of the memorable campaign of that summer with the exception of two. After his return he resumed farming at the old place and has continued ever since engaged in the same occupation. The old place now contains 220 acres with two large barns and that place is rented. In 1883 he bought an improved farm of eighty acres on section 10, moved there and made additional improvements, living now at that place. Our subject has six children: Julia, now at home; Georgie, married John Slatter, and lives at Sun Prairie, Wisconsin; the third child died in infancy; Helen, Sarah, John M., and Fay V. are at home. The father of our subject died 22 November 1870, but his mother survived until 15 September 1883. Mr. Weeks has been prominent in the township, having been elected Supervisor when only twenty-four years of age. He has repeatedly been a member of the Board, once was Chairman, and a member of the Legislature, 1877. In 1870 he was Deputy United States Marshall. In 1881-1882 he was elected Sheriff of the County, and for two years was warden of the Wisconsin Penitentiary, commencing in October 1889. He is a Republican in politics. He has always been interested in education, having filled the offices of treasurer and clerk. It will be seen from the above inadequate sketch that our subject has been an important factor in this community. He takes just pride in his various successes, and has the esteem of the citizens of his county, and with the majority is very popular. --- Biographical Review of Dane County, WI. Chicago: Biographical Review Pub. Co. 1893, Vol II, pp 518-520
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.