Individual Page

Marriage: Children:
  1. Byron Blair 1C6C1F Cunningham: Birth: 18 DEC 1860 in Trigg County, Kentucky. Death: 15 FEB 1948 in Grayson County, Texas

Marriage: Children:
  1. Bruce or Brutus 2C6C1F Cunningham: Birth: 15 OCT 1870 in Texas. Death: 01 NOV 1870 in Texas

  2. L.L.D. Henry Allen 3C6C1F Cunningham: Birth: 26 DEC 1871 in Texas. Death: 01 FEB 1966 in Texas

  3. John Breckenridge 4C6C1F Cunningham: Birth: 25 MAR 1873 in Texas. Death: 30 NOV 1878 in Texas

  4. Annie Laura 5C6C1F Cunningham: Birth: 18 MAR 1876 in Texas. Death: BET 1948 AND 1986

  5. William Edgar 6C6C1F Cunningham: Birth: 03 FEB 1884 in Texas. Death: 29 JAN 1943 in Texas

1. Title:   xCunningham Family History
Author:   Marqua Jean Duncan
Publication:   Name: Copyright 2002 McClanahan Publishing House;

a. Note:   H258
Note:   1st Lietenant (Surgeon). Enlisting in the Confederate Army, Co. G, 4th Kentucky Inf., John Cunningham was elected a 1st lieutenant. His unit fought for two days in the battle of Shiloh, the regiment went into battle with 900 men and came out with 450. Later he was Gen. Wheeler's surgeon. He then, with Gen. Bragg's invasion of Kentucky, helped to organize a cavalry company of which he was elected 2nd lieutenant and later elected captain. He was captured at Paris, TN and imprisoned at Nashville, TN, and Camp Chase, OH, and Fortress Monroe, VA. (from Trigg County, Kentucky, Veterans - Lest We Forget; Turner Publishing 2001)
  CSA (Confederate States of America) - enlisted at Camp Burnett, Tennessee, with ninety other men from Trigg County, Kentucky. Company G, 4th KY Regiment., 1st KY Brigade - appointed 1st Lt. on 9/13/1861 - fought at Shiloh, resigned in June 1862 in order to transfer from the Infantry to the Medical Corps - at the Battle of Shiloh he was in command of a company of men serving under General Albert Sidney Johnson - he was stationed at Lookout Mountain as a surgeon, where he was captured by the enemy and kept a prisoner for a time at Camp Chase in Ohio. (Cunningham Family, Leaves from the Family Tree, by Marqua Duncan, pg 89)
  John was an M.D.; he attended Beth College in Hopkinsville, KY. and later studied medicine receiving a degree from a medical college in St. Louis, MO; he also attended Galveston Texas Medical College. After the war, he moved to Fannin Co., TX in 1867, leaving his baby son with his maternal grandparents, Rev. George and Margaret Patterson. He married once more, this time to Fannie Agnew, and together they had five children. Later, John made several trips back to Trigg Co., KY, to visit with his teenaged son, Byron, and the resto of his relatives, but he never brought any of his second family with him. In addition to his large medical practice, he owned several large ranches and had considerable property in town; he also owned a large mercantile store. He was also politically active, serving in the 13th, 27th, 28th, 33rd and 34th sessions of the Texas Legislature. (Cunningham Family, Leaves from the Family Tree, by Marqua Duncan, pg 89)
  Dr. John Cunningham died suddenly about five o'clock this morning. When the War Between the States broke out, he volunteered and served throughout the bloody conflict. At the battle of Shiloh, he was in command of a company under General Albert Sidney Johnston. He also served as a surgeon in the Confederate Army and was stationed at Lookout Mountain. He was captured by the Federals and kept a prisoner for a time at Camp Chase in Ohio. He moved to Fannin County, Texas, in 1867. (Source not known)
  DR. JOHN CUNNINGHAM Dr. John Cuningham, an old and honored citizen of Ravenna, Tex., died of heart disease at his house on February 6, 1924. He born in Trigg County, Ky., on September 24, 1836, and he was educated in the common schools and at Bethel College, of Russellville, Ky, and later graduated in the famous McDowell Medical College of St. Louis, Mo. When war came on in 1861, he volunteered and served throughout the war. At the battle of Shiloh he was in command of a company. For a time he served as a surgeon in the Confederate army and was stationed on Lookout Mountain. He was captured by the Federals and was kept prisoner of war at Camp Chase, Ohio. Dr. Cunningham was twice married, his first wife being a Miss Patterson, of Kentucky, by which marriage he had one son. His second wife was Miss Fannie Agnew, of Fannin County, Tex., who survives him with two sons and a daughter---H. A. Cunningham, of Bonham, Tex., and Mrs. Annie Spangler and W. B. Cunningham, of Oklahoma. Dr. Cunningham came to Texas in 1867 and settled near the site of the present town of Ravenna, which he started and named; and this fine old town, with its good people and fine schools and churches, as it nestles among the high hills which overlook the broad valley of the Red River, is a befitting monument to the towering character of this grand old man. Coming to Texas soon after the war, it fell to his lot to lead in freeing our State from carpetbag rule, which was accomplished by the triumphant election and installation of the famous Richard Coke, of Waco, as governor of Texas. Dr. Cunningham went to Austin first as a member of the thirteenth legislature of Texas and was reelected for several terms, covering a period of ten years in all. He was an intelligent man, of vast general information, and familiar with all subjects of public interest. He was successful as a merchant, physician, farmer, and stockman. He was a good citizen, a good neighbor and a good friend, but, above all, he was a good Christian, and had been a member of the Christian Church for many years. After funeral services in the Christian Church of Ravenna, his body was tenderly laid away in the Old Sandy Creek Cemetery, with Masonic honors. This brief sketch is from the feeble pen of his old comrade and friend, who was with him in the great battle of Shiloh. [J. E. Deupree.] (Note: This obituary appeared in vol. XXVI, March, 1918, p. 124 of 'The Confederate Veteran Magazine'.)
  1895 Dr. John Cunningham, of Ravenna, Texas has the thanks of the editor for a present of a beautiful pair of eight inch jack rabbit ears from the head of the native Texas Mollie Cottontail jumper, of masculine gender. Resembling a splendid pair of donkey auricles, we think the gift an eminently appropriate one for an editor, and after having tanned and framed the pair, they now hang pendent on the highest altitude of our sanctum sanctorum. Some more of your curiosities, Doctor, but of a different character, Dr you know too many of us are already flop-eared. (Trigg County Historical Clippings, Vol 2)
  March 15, 1895 Dr. Cunningham In The Sixties - His Location In Texas and What He had to Undergo - An Interesting letter Editor Telephone: In your issue of the 29th of November, 1894, you printed my second letter, and spread on more soft soap and compliments, which was duly appreciated and all proper allowances made for errors in the same requesting me, with Mr. Cyrus Thompson and several others to write again at pleasure or sooner, and commit the same overt act of folly and nonsense I suppose. Hence, here I am again, at 10 o'clock at night after a hard day's work doing nothing, ready to get up another voluminous epistle of airy nothings. I am surprised that you print such ribaldry and balderdash in so respectable a journal as the 'Phone in the enlightened age; but then it has been said a thousand times o'er "That where ignorance is bliss 'tis folly to be wise." No dig at the editor or good people of Trigg, but the people love things to fly from the sublime to the ridiculous, but as I can't aspire to the sublime, I can only try to act my part in my own peculiar kind of way. Well after the great way between the States that tried men's souls of '61 and '65 everything was turned topsy-turvy, not only in grand old Kentucky, but the entire Southland, and I wanted to go to Texas ' to fresher fields and greener pastures, but brother William (who was always kinder good and home-like) heard of my intentions. He took me aside and gave ma a long talk on Texas and her extravaganzas. He told me in a confidential undertone that Texas was filled with race-riders, drunkards, gamblers, dare-devils, robbers, cut throats, murderers, and vagabonds. I admitted his arguments (such being the common understanding then), but told him that such disease were not much catching in our family, and that I was not much afraid of them on any scores mentioned, as I would not be hunting for anything on those lines, and was not afraid of robbers because I had nothing that robbers would have. So packing all of my earthly possessions in a small trunk and bidding a few friends good-bye which I never expected to see again, I bid farewell to old Kentucky at Canton on one bright sunny morning in February '67 for Texas. Funds being at a very low ebb, I had concluded to travel on a flat-bottomed stave boat to New Orleans on a dead-head ticket, working my way, but on reaching the mouth of Cumberland we found the Ohio so high that our pilot, Nathan Wallace, was afraid to tackle her. So they just tied up the boat and concluded to wait for the subsidence of the waters. But I had Texas on the brain and couldn't wait. So I boarded the steamer Tom Scott at Smithland and struck for Cairo; there I shipped aboard the steamer Ruth for New Orleans. On reaching the Crescent City I had concluded to inspect Louisiana for a location to practice my profession, physic; and then boarded the Cleona for the Bauou Roughs country at the solicitation of a Louisiana friend, but upon my arrival there I found the whole country had been overflowed and nothing for man or beast to eat only what was shipped from New Orleans. It took me but a short time to become thoroughly disgusted with that beautiful land of cotton, sugar, Negroes, and alligators. So I soon decided that land of the orange and the magnolia would not suit my delicate constitution and depleted purse; so I then returned to new Orleans and engaged passage on the steamer Frolic (a mane I rather liked then) for Jefferson, Tex. ( No railroad to Texas then.) On the trip up to Jefferson I made the acquaintance of a very kind hearted merchant from Kentucky, town, Grayson county, Tex. (which adjoins Fannin county, my destination, 150 miles distant.) He asked me how I would get out from Jefferson. My reply was "walk, I guess, as I have no funds to buy a horse or pay stage fare." Hendricks (his name) then told me that he had ordered a buggy up on the next boat and I could go with him. So upon our arrival in Jefferson we waited a day and night for his boat and buggy. The boat came but no buggy. He came out to my cheap hotel on the second night and stated the facts. I had sent my trunk with a couple of wagons loaded with his goods that morning. So I told him I was ready to start and buckled on my dragoon pistol. The moon was shining bright as day. "Out tonight" he asked. "Yes, I must catch those wagons before day." "Why" "Well, I will tell you. Two dollars and a half is all the money I have in this vain world, and it will cost me one dollar and a half to stay all night." So I lit out on foot at 11 o'clock that night and traveled until the moon went down an hour before day, rousing up numerous wagon camps along the road looking for my outfit, but failed to find them. As darkness hovered over the earth, I south shelter in a wayside cabin. The old gentleman, bluffly but kindly, took me in, giving me a bed with two other occupants. I had hardly touched the bed 'fore the arms of morpheus had embraced me. Was called to a breakfast of cornbread, fried bacon and black coffee without sugar or cream. I ate hearty, though just to show the old lady that I appreciated woman's labors. Rough as I was, I always admired the good and the beautiful. After breakfast I inquired my bill. The old gentleman told me that as I was a tenderfoot in Texas he would only charge me one dollar. I settled, thanked him and hit the road again with only one dollar and a half to my credit left. The sun rose above the tree tops brighter than day I thought. It warmed and cheered me up (being March weather) I soon found out from passing wagons to Jefferson that I was ahead of my train, which caught up late in the evening. This was the last night's lodging I have ever paid in Texas, unless I went to a regular hotel, which I was rather particular to steer clear of until funds were more plentiful; but I had a world of anecdotes, ghost and war stories which I turned loose when occasion demanded in lieu of the cash. While tramping on this trip I frequently thought of what Robert Burns wrote on this subject over one hundred years ago, which ran thusly: When fortune smiles, we ride in chaises, But when she frowns, we walk, be'jasus. I have never been hard on honest tramps since, I know how they feel. The truth of it is, it makes a man all the better to have felt the soliloquizing influences of extreme poverty. He is apt to absorb more or less of the milk of human kindness into his general make up. Well I remembered what William had told me about the inhabitants of Texas, but happily for me, I found the great majority just the reverse of his portraiture. Outside of old Trigg I never met a more sociable and hospitable set of people. Of course, we have, out of a population of some two or three millions now, a good many, who are not by any means angels, but claim to be before they are hung or sent to the pen for life. Upon the second day of my arrival in Fannin I started out with part of wagons for Weatherford, in Parker county, 150 miles distant, for flour. The country at this time was sparsely settled. cabins ten and twenty miles apart. On every acre grew thousands of gay wild prairie flowers, each different from the other. Prairie chickens were in flocks of thousands. In half an hour's drive I could set in the wagon and kill all we wanted to feed a hundred hungry men. The skirts of timber being low and scrubby, I shot squirrels from the tops with my old dragoon; so I supplied the carivan with meat. On this trip I shot the first mule eared rabbit I ever saw. I thought it was a young deer until I picked him up. We also met hundreds of wagons loaded down with dry buffalo hides. Two and occasionally three wagons would be hitched to one team on their way to Jefferson where they would be shipped North to be worked in buffalo robes. They were brought in from the staked plains, where an army of men were killing them for their hides only, while the meat was the finest of beef, but no sale for it then. On the way back our road was on the black waxy land. When dry it makes one of the finest road in the world; when wet and rainy it is one of the worst. No man was ever known to make a track in it. He always picks up his track with it hinder foot; just so with a wagon and in going to hundred yards your wagon wheel will become caked with black waxy mud. You must take a heavy handspike and puncture it out and repeat the same pleasant duty every two or three hundred yards during the day. One gloomy evening while the gulf clouds were dark and lowly formed and trudging along with about ten pounds of black waxy mud on my foot, I thought of a quotation from Mr. Shakespeare which I thought suited me then to a dot. In speaking of some fallen hero he alludes to him this way. Like a broken column on a lonely plate, Standing sadly gray to tell of ruin, But I ever had hope. I thought it would never do to give it up; as Mr. Brown says, "I believed that there was a good time a coming boys." In the course of time we got back to Fannin, I borrowed a wild mustang horse, an old cavalry saddle and bridle, and located in the neighborhood of where Ravenna now stands, for the practice of my profession. I went to Bonham the next day and traded off my dragoon pistol for drugs and commenced the practice. I have never made a great deal of money but of it, but have done lots of it and had bushels of fun and helped to build up two or three very nice little grave-yards and have never had to change my location for practice in twenty-eight years. Well, for a rest. You recollect in a former letter I states that Ravenna college school district would hold a prohibition election on the 28th of December. Well, we held it. We met the enemy and we were theirn. The pro's got 70 votes; anti's 75. The anti's carried 30 negro votes; the pro's one. But since then a county election on the subject has been called and was held on the 9th of March, and they (the anti's) are our meat this time. Fannin county is as dry as a magazine. We had a short but hot campaign, though it was good humored. We never abused saloon keepers or whiskey drinkers. It wouldn't do; too many. I took a little hand myself. I made five speeches and had lots of fun and amusement, and no fights or ill humor. I felt that I was working on God's side, good morals, good government, and the bright eyes little ones of everybody's home. We have had two previous elections on prohibition. The first we carried for the pro's by 1200 majority in '82. The next was in a State campaign in 1887, the pro's then carried it by about 1300 majority. So you see we have a prohibition record. In the State election Fannin was the banner county of the State, having cast the largest majority of all the counties. Our present reduced majority was caused by one of two leading Populists ( who were editors of a Pop papers) who espoused the anti side and tried to carry the party with them. Our pro majority was cut down to 446. Otherwise it would have been 1,500. Fannin county is about 30 miles square, lying up and down Red River adjoining portions of the Chickasaw and Cherokee nations across the river. Fannin could be made a solid farm. Every foot of it is tillable. About one half of the county is sandy land; the other black waxy. Our portion is sandy. For apples, peaches, pears, and all semi-tropical fruits the sandy lands of Fannin are said to equal Arkansas, Tennessee, or Kentucky. For grapes it is said to rival the Rhine or the Danube. Our population is much mixed. In every neighborhood you find men and women from almost ever State in the great Union and most of the principalities of Europe and Africa. Well it seems to me that I ought to beg pardon for the general tenor of this letter. It may be read by many of my old friend with some slight degree of interest, and perhaps young ones, too, but the general idea that I wish to inculcate among my young friends is that "wherever there is a will there's a way." Aurevoir, JOHN CUNNINGHAM (Trigg County Historical Clippings, Vol 2)
  August 21, 1909 VISITING OLD FRIEND Dr. Cunningham Here From Texas Dr. John Cunningham reached Cadiz Sunday night from Texas, and will spend about a month visiting old Trigg county friends and relatives. Although he has lived in Texas for thirty years, he still takes great interest in affairs in Trigg county and Kentucky, and today is one of the most interesting men of our acquaintance. (The Cadiz Record, Cadiz, Kentucky)
  September 1909 Picnic At Mount Pleasant Next Wednesday In Honor of Dr. John Cunningham of Texas We are requested to announce that the old Confederate soldiers, relatives and friends of Dr. John Cunningham, of Texas, are most cordially invited to meet him in the grove around the Mt. Pleasant Baptist church on Wednesday, September 3, 1902. The intention is to have a distinctly social gathering for recreation and pleasure. Prayer, songs, music and addresses and an old time picnic basket dinner will be the order of the day. Everybody who honors worth respects, valor, and reveres patriotism in him who wore the grey or blue are asked to come with hampers well filled, and we will try to be young again for the ----. Of course ladies are most especially invited. (Trigg County Historical Clippings, Vol 5)
  September 11, 1909 IN HONOR OF DR. CUNNINGHAM Pic-Nic given Last Week at Mt. Pleasant Large Crowd Was Present I am called upon just as our county paper goes to press to write a short sketch of the reunion of old soldiers, relatives and friends who met at Blue Spring, Trigg county, Ky., Sept. 3rd, 1902, in honor of Dr. John Cunningham, who left this county about 35 years ago and located at what is now Ravenna, Texas. Therefore, should I fail to mention any speaker of the day remember that this is written without notes. The reunion was an informal affair that adjusted itself, without the special efforts of any one, into an old fashion spread of Kentucky hospitality, consisting of no less than fifteen carcasses, to say nothing of the hams, chickens, bread, cakes, pies, and other eatables too numerous to mention. When the congregation of about 800 people had eaten the most conservative persons present estimated the remaining provisions to be enough for 1,000 more. Though the repast was enjoyed by all, yet the greatest feast to me was the pleasure of seeing those old soldier friends, who had been separated for 35 years, meet and clasp each other with both hands and hold with a strong embrace while their eyes could not restrain the tears that trickled down their care-worn cheeks. There were thirty-odd present, monuments of that great army that the oratory of Breckenridge, Burnett, and others called from the best homes of the South land into that army that consisted of the best and bravest soldiery that the world ever knew. The distance that time and circumstances have placed between those old veterans have changed the cords of youthful affection into iron hands of love. After music and prayer, the greeting was delivered by Levi Cunningham; response by Capt. F. G. Terry. John Caldwell then read some of the important facts of the Orphan Brigade through the four years of fire and blood. The afternoon session consisted of an able address by Rev. D. E. Bentley, in which he gave some of the causes of the civil war, and a humorous speech by Dr. Cunningham in which he gave many incidents of his early youth, young manhood, and soldier life, which showed an unusually strong memory. The Doctor says this was the red letter day of his life. He left the next day for Texas while the enjoyment of his trip was in its zenith. One striking venture was that perfect order prevailed throughout the day. If every neighborhood would have just such a social gathering each year I am sure it would be better for the country. A.C. (Trigg County Historical Clippings, Vol 9)
  September 11, 1909 Sketch of His Life DR. JOHN R. CUNNINGHAM The subject of this sketch is a physician and farmer, and was born in Trigg county, Kentucky, September 21, 1836. His grandfather, William Cunningham, a native of Scotland, came to America about 1780 and settled in Albemarle county, Virginia. In 1818 he moved to Trigg county, Kentucky, with the subject's father, where he died about 1820. His grandfather on his mother's side, Moses Gresham, came to America also about 1780 and settled in the Old Dominion. About 1810 he moved to Trigg county, Kentucky, where he died about 1815. The father of the subject of this sketch, John Cunningham, Sr., was a farmer, a colonel of militia in Kentucky, and also a magistrate in that state, and died in Trigg County Kentucky, in 1854. His mother, Mrs. Mary (Gresham) Cunningham, died in Trigg County, Kentucky, about 1880. Dr. Cunningham obtained his literary training in the Common schools of Kentucky and at Bethel College, of Russellville, Ky. He attended the St. Louis (Mo.) Medical College, and also the Galveston Medical College, from the latter institution, he received his second medical diploma in 1873. He practiced medicine in Trigg County, Ky., until the breaking of the Civil War, when he helped to organize and was elected first-lieutenant of Company G of the Fourth Kentucky Infantry. His company was part of Gen. John C. Breckenridge's orphan brigade which besides other severe engagements fought two days in the battle of Shiloh. The regiment went into battle with 900 and came out with only 450 men. His company (G) was then consolidated with other companies. He resigned, and was assistant surgeon awhile on Lookout Mountain. He then went with Bragg's invasion of Kentucky, and while there he helped to organize a cavalry company of which he was elected second lieutenant, and was in a few months selected captain. In course of time he was captured and confined at Clarksville jail, Nashville, Tenn., Camp Chase, Ohio and Fortress Monroe. He came to Texas after the war in 1867, a money less tramp, and walked from Jefferson, Texas, to Kentuckytown, now in Grayson County. He located near the present town of Ravenna, Fannin county, where he has been practicing medicine ever since. He now owns and runs several little farms in that section. He has been road overseer, school trustee, and twice alderman and twice Mayor of Ravenna. He attended as delegate to the State conventions which nominated Ross, Hogg, and Culberson for Governor. He is an earnest Democrat, and was elected to fill the unexpired term of the late much lamented Hon. W. W. Riddling, who died in Austin at his post of duty during the regular session of the twenty-seventh Legislature. He was opposed in the racy by two active opponents whom he defeated by a majority. Dr. Cunningham was also a member of the thirteenth House of Representatives of 1873, to which body he was elected by a majority of 600. He was first married in Trigg county, Kentucky in 1859 to Miss Annie Olivia Patterson, and by this union there was born one son -- Byron B. Cunningham. He was married the second time to Miss Fannie Agnew, daughter of Allen Agnew, of Fannin county. By this second union there were born three children -- Henry Allen, Annie Laurie and William Murry. Dr. Cunningham believes in and takes to practice the precepts of the Christian religion as taught by Christ and the apostles. He is not dogmatic, but liberal toward all others in according them freedom of belief as to religion and politics, believing there are Christians in all churches and patriots in all political parties. He does not pose as an orator nor as a statesman, only claiming to be a plain farmer and retired country physician. He is the author of 'Reminisces of the great War.' Which promises to be a very readable work. It will contain, interspersed, all the original Confederate poems and a great number of portraits and engravings of his comrades in arms. It details the humorous as well as the daring, courageous and pathetic events of the great struggle between the North and the South, and will be ready for publication soon. Dr. Cunningham believes is a prominent member of both the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities. He serves on the following committees: County Government and County Finances, Agricultural --- Federal Relations, Stock and Stock Raising. In Dr. Cunningham's late campaign, the Honey Grove Citizen in speaking of him said, that he came to Texas in 1867 a moneyless tramp, having walked all the way from Jefferson, Fannin county. Dr. A. H. Henry a grand old time physician and one of natures nobleman, who lived in Old Warren, loaned him a horse. Having no money or credit he pawned an old army sharpshooter to a drug store in Bonham for medicine. Locating near the present town of Ravenna, which he helped to locate and build, he began to practice of medicine. He made a splendid success as a physician, as a cattleman, as farmer, as an orchardist, and as legislator. In the primary election of May 1, 1902, Dr. Cunningham was opposed by a very estimable gentleman, over whom he received a complimentary majority of 3,742 votes, for which says he shall ever feel grateful. Dr. Cunningham is one of the men which binds us to a glorious ----. He is an affable gentleman, ripe in honors, experience, and wisdom and his devotion to principle and due a member of the thirteenth and twenty-seventh Legislatures is the continuation of his life history has so endeared him to his people. (Ravena, Texas News, Ravenna, Texas)
  February 24, 1921 Dr. John Cunningham On Visit From Texas Reached County Yesterday For Visit To The Home Of His Young Manhood Mr. John Cunningham, of Ravenna, Fannin county, Texas, reached here yesterday on a visit to his Cunningham kin and to other relatives and many old friends back in the county of his birth. His son, Mr. B. B. Cunningham, made the trip with him. They will be here for several weeks, and as the Doctor humorously puts it. 'Just as long as the pot continues to boil.' Dr. Cunningham grew to manhood in the county and practiced medicine as a young man. He spent four years in the Southern Confederacy during the war between the states, and came back home after the war, where he practiced his profession for about four years. In 1868 he moved to Texas and has since made that state his home. He served his county five terms in the Legislature. He was elected first, in 1872, and after that session retired. Nineteen years later he went back for a couple of terms. He was out for several years more, and a few years ago served two more terms. It was while engaged in one of these campaigns that he fell and broke his hip. He was elected, however, while on his bed of affliction, and succeeded himself two years later for another term. He afterward voluntarily retired. The fall made him a cripple for life, but he gets about pretty well by the use of crutches and an invalid chair. Aside from the pleasures of a visit to old friends, Dr. Cunningham says one main purpose of his visit is to start some movement to have a monument erected to the head of the Cunningham family, who lies in an unmarked grave near Trigg Furnace. It is planned to have a picnic and family gathering at Trigg Furnace at some time during the Doctor's visit, the date to be finally decided upon and announced in the paper next week. Other parties on a small scale are planned for the Doctor while he is here, and a good time is assured him while on this visit. He will be in Cadiz for a day or two, and will then go to the country where the name of Cunningham abounds and where relatives and old friends are planning to entertain him. Other Cadiz friends will entertain him before he returns to Texas. (Newspaper Clipping)
  Cunninghams Gather AT Blue Spring Tomorrow Dr. Cunningham anxious To Erect Monument To Head of Family Tomorrow, Friday, August 12th, is the day set for the gathering of the members of the large Cunningham family and their friends at Blue Spring on the farm of John F. Guier, seven miles west of Cadiz. Several hundred people will be in attendance. Dr. John Cunningham, who is here from Ravenna, Texas, for a visit to old friends, will be the guest of honor. One main purpose of Dr. Cunningham's visit back to the county of his birth is to start a movement to erect a monument to the memory of James Cunningham, the head of the large Cunningham family, and who has slept in an unmarked grave almost a hundred years not far from Trigg Furnace. Some steps will be gotten on foot at the meeting tomorrow looking to the erection of this monument. (August 12, 1921) is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.