Note: urred Sunday afternoon shortly after 2 o'clock, brought a sense of personal loss to the people of St. Clair. They felt that from them had been taken a man whose aims were noble, whose influence was wholesome, whose whole life, public and private, was worthy of emulation.Since the death of his brother, Hon. Bela W. Jenks, there had been a gradual breaking down of Mr. Jenks health. The community, therefore, while not unexpecting the coming of the end was far from prepared for the taking away of one who had been closely connected with every movement for the welfare of the city.Robert H. Jenks was born at Crown Point, Essex county, N. Y., April 28, 1827. He was the son of Jeramiah W. Jenks, a native of Newport, New Hampshire. A relic of Puritan stock, Mr. Jenks inherited the unflinching courage, the tenacity of purpose and indomitable will of his ancestors; but withal he was fair-minded and at all times just.Mr. Jenks came to Michigan in 1849, landing at Clarke's dock, St. Clair, November 4th of that year. The first person he saw her was Mary S. Clarke, who has made him so excellent and devoted a help meet. Miss Clarke was standing on her father's dock when the landing was made. Fr five months Mr. Jenks taught school here and then engaged as clerk for H. Whiting. In the fall of 1850 he went to Lexington where he taught school for two years and clerked for J. L. Woods one year. In 1853, Mr. Jenks returned to St. Clair and formed a partnership with Dr. Dickie in the drug business, which lasted two years. He then engaged in the mercantile business until 1867. In 1863 Mr. Jenks was appointed St. Clair's post-master by President Lincoln and continued in office 14 years. He was president and treasurer of the Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Macomb and St. Clair counties and held the presidency of the Michigan State Insurance Company for some years after its organization in 1876.In 1886 Mr. Jenks became cashier of the Commercial and Savings Bank and added solidity to this excellent banking institution of St. Clair of which he has been president since December 1894. He joined the Masonic fraternity in 1852 and held nearly every office in the order from the Blue Lodge up to the Commandery. For four years Mr. Jenks was mayor of this city and made a conservative, level-headed official.The marriage of Mr. Jenks and Mary S. Clarke was solemnized April 13, 1854, and now to these companions of 38 years has come a grievous separation for a time, Mrs. Jenks being sustained by the devotion of six children, Mrs. Emma C. Crampton, of this city, Lucy A. Rees, of Houghton, Helen C. Cleary, of Ypsilanti, and John H., Ben L, and Owen T. Jenks of Cleveland.The funeral was held from the house yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Rolph duff officiating. Port Huron Commandery No. 7 and the Masonic orders here attended in a body. W. L. and F. D. Jenks, of Port Huron, Bela W. and Robert M. Jenks, of Sand Beach, c. C. Jenks, of Detroit, J. M. Jenks, of Chicago, Robert H. Jenks, of Cleveland, and Russ S. Jenks, of this city, nephews, were the pall bearers.Thus close the labors of a earnest, honest man, a valued citizen of well rounded character, intellectual, patriotic, quick of conception, faithful in duty, in sympathetic touch with the public weal and a noble exemplar in all the relations of life.
Note: !Jenks, Robert HenryThe announcement of the death of Honorable Robert Henry Jenks, which occ
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.