Note: chusetts in 1689, as did his brother Samuel. In 1693 he followed Samuel to Plainfield, Connecticut, the part afterwards Canterbury, when there was only one white or English family in the town, and the west side of the Quinnebaug river was first settled. In 1698 he, Samuel and others were made trustees of lands west of the Quinnebaug River by Owaneco, chief of the Mahicanni or Mohegans, and in 1699 he purchased one hundred and seventy-six acres of Owaneco, "then being Peagscommock." He, his brother and others signed a petition, May 9, 1699, to the general court for "town powers and privileges", and he was on a committee of ten "of the oldest and most respected inhabitants" of the place who were appointed to assurne the jurisdiction of their territory, and reported June 13, 1701, the result. December 24, 1702, Samuel, Josiah and Isaac were among the freeholders and proprietors of Piainfield applying for a separate township, and it was divided October, 1703, and the west side named Canterbury.
Note: !Josiah served in the Indian wars, 1688-9, probably in Maine. He settled in Chelmsford, Massa
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.