Individual Page


Family
Marriage: Children:
  1. William M. Patterson: Birth: AFT 1792. Death: 1848 in Preble Co, OH

  2. Samuel Patterson: Birth: 24 JUN 1792 in SC. Death: 01 JAN 1872

  3. Mary A. Patterson: Birth: 07 APR 1795. Death: 30 JUL 1865


Family
Marriage: Children:
  1. John Patterson: Birth: 06 SEP 1800. Death: 01 JAN 1865 in Fortville, IN

  2. Robert C. Patterson: Birth: 22 JAN 1805 in SC. Death: 10 FEB 1878

  3. Rebeccah Patterson: Birth: AFT 1806.

  4. Jane Patterson: Birth: 23 NOV 1806 in SC. Death: 07 AUG 1872 in New Paris, Preble Co, OH


Family
Marriage:
Sources
1. Title:   PATTERSON-006, Mechlenburg, NC 1790 Census
2. Title:   PATTERSON-010, Samuel Patterson Family
3. Title:   Marriage Records, The USIGS Research Library
Author:   http://www.usigs.org/library/
4. Title:   PATTERSON-015, Samuel Patterson descendants
5. Title:   PATTERSON-018, Wright, Mary letter 03/01/04
6. Title:   PATTERSON-009, Preble Co, OH Probate Abstracts

Notes
a. Note:   A Samuel Patterson Jr is listed in the 1790 census of Ninety-Six District, Abbeville County, South Carolina. (with three free white females.) This is probably our Samuel, but the identification of the women in the household can't be known. Residents in close proximity to Samuel Patterson include: Matthew SHANKS, Mary GLASGOW, William WHITE, William McBRIDE, William McDONNAL (McDONALD) Augustine DAVIS, James BONNER, Charles BEATY, John FOSTER, William ROBBISON (ROBINSON), John BEATY, Andrew COCHRAN, Patrick BRADLEY, Alexander PATTERSON, James PATTERSON, and Thomas LINDSEY. Samuel Patterson is listed among members of Lower Long Cane and Cedar Springs Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (ARPC) who signed a pastoral call in 1797. Surnames common to both this pastoral call and the 1790 Abbeville district census include PATTERSON, MASSEY, McFARLIN, McKINNEY, CRAWFORD, BEARD, CLARK, LITTLE, LINDSAY, CRESSWELL, McGAW, WILSON, HENDERSON, TAYLOR, McCULLOUGH, JONES, SPENCE, STEWART, DOWNEY, and ANDERSON. In the 1800 SC Heads of Families census listed in Abbeville Dist.: (Column Headings: Males <10, 10-16, 16-26, 26-45, >45, Females <10, 10-16, 16-26, 26-45, >45 , free persons, slaves) Paterson, Samuel _ p. 32 _ 31010-10010-01 This matches Samuels family exactly; William age 8, Samuel age 7, John < age 1, Samuel Jr age 35, Mary age 5, and Agnes age unknown. It is interesting to see that Samuel Jr. had one slave in his household in 1800. By 1814, the Pattersons and other Abbeville District families had followed Alexender Porter, a pastor with a known aversion to slavery, from SC to Preble County, Ohio. "A Genealogical Index of Miami Valley Pioneers" says that Samuel Patterson came from Mecklenburg Co, NC to Preble Co, in 1812 and died in 1833. It states that NC deeds show his first wife was Agnes. There is a Samuel Patterson listed in the 1790 Mecklenburg Co. Census. Listed are 5 males over 16, 2 females under 16, 3 females. Also listed as heads of households are John, William, Alexander, and Robert Patterson. It is not entirely known were Samuel's family resided between 1800 and his first land entry in Preble County, OH is in 1812. It is possible that Samuel Patterson moved to Mecklenburg Co, NC. However, it is more likely he followed others from Abbeville District, SC. The Pattersons were Presbyterian and belonged to the Hopewell Church that was formed in Preble Co, OH in 1808. The Rev. Alexander Porter led a rather large migration from Abbeville District to Preble County, which included the Patterson family. Rev. Alexander Porter was born abt 1770 near Parson's Mount, Abbeville Co., South Carolina, and was the first native-born minister of the Associate Reformed Presbytery of the Carolinas and Georgia. He completed his literary training at Dickinson College, Pennsylvania. He was licensed by the Second Associate Reformed Presbytery of Pennsylvania, and then returned home and began to preach at Long Cane and Cedar Springs, January 1, 1797. A call was presented for his services on March 22, 1797. [History of Long Cane Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church by Dr. Nora M. Davis.] He led a congregation north to Ohio to avoid contact with the institution of slavery and formed a congregation in Israel township in Preble Co., Ohio. (Copied from Biographies of Early Presbyterians) The following is information taken from the book "History of Preble County, Ohio" published in 1881: Abstract Around 1814, the Rev. Alexander Porter, pastor of the Associate Reformed Church at Cedar Springs, Abbeville District, South Carolina, was released from his duties. He came west to Israel Township, Preble County, and in October 1814 settled with his family on a farm in section 16 of the township In July 1815 he became pastor of the Hopewell Church (Associate Reformed Presbyterian) congregation of about 50 families and shortly afterwards the congregation was much enlarged by emigrations from his old parish in South Carolina Rev. Porter resigned due to ill health in 1833 and died about 3 years later. THE HOPEWELL CHURCH. In the years 1806 and 1807 several families, members of the Associate Reformed church, emigrated from the States of Kentucky and South Carolina, and settled in Israel Township in the midst of the Beech Woods. Rev. Risk, a minister of the Associate Reformed church, preached to them soon after their settlement. In the fall of 1808, at the house of William McCreary, in section thirty-six, they formed themselves into a society, and in conjunction with the people of Concord petitioned the presbytery of Kentucky for supplies. Among those who occasionally supplied them were, Revs. McCord, McGill, Samuel Crothers and Brahman Craig. September, 1808, the people assembled in the double log barn of David Madill's, and Mr. Craig, after preaching organized the congregation into a church of nearly fifty members. Prominent among these first named on the church roll were the McDills, McQuistons, Boyces, Ramseys and Elliotts. At the time of the organization the following elders were chosen by the congregation: David and Andrew McQuiston, James Boyse, Ebenezer Elliott and John Patterson, all of whom had been ordained previous to their settlement in the township. The church continued to receive supplies from the Kentucky presbytery, and the number of members was increased by immigration, but the prospect of having a settled minister among them did not open until I8I4, when Rev. Alexander Porter, the pastor of the Associate Reformed church at Cedar Springs, Abbeville district, South Carolina, being previously released from his charge, came on a visit to the western churches, and to the Israel township congregation preached on two Sabbaths and one week day. By this time the congregation had increased to more than fifty families, and the people were more than ever desirous of securing a pastor and of erecting a house of worship. Accordingly they drew up a call for Mr. Porter, and presented it to the presbytery of Kentucky. A copy of the call is now in possession of the Hopewell session. It is drawn up in the usual form, and prays that Mr. Porter become the shepherd of their souls, and promises to pay him all due respect and support. It was signed by the following persons who constituted the first membership of the church, with the understanding that as soon as these churches could be provided with a settled pastor, Hopewell would receive the whole of Mr. Porters labors. Prior to this call the first church building had been erected just west of the present house. It was a log structure thirty feet square, and afterwards, to accommodate the growing congregation, received in addition of thirty feet. The pulpit was in the middle of the west side, with two small windows just back of it. The seats were made of slabs hewed from logs. They were provided with stiff, upright backs. The present church building is a commodious frame, and is kept in good repair. In October, 1814, Mr. Porter, having accepted the call, came to his new pastoral charge at Hopewell, and settled with his family on the farm in section sixteen, now occupied by Alexander Orr. In the following July he was solemnly installed by Rev. John Steele. Shortly afterwards the congregation was much enlarged by immigrations from Mr. Porter's old parish, in South Carolina, and six members were added to the session who had been elders of the church in South Carolina. In 1816 the congregations of Hamilton and Concord having the prospect of a pastor, Mr. Porter discontinued his labors among them and devoted all of his time to Hopewell, which continued to increase in numbers and influence. In 1833 Mr. Porter was attacked by a severe sickness, and it was thought that his days were about numbered, and he resigned his charge, though he rallied and lived three years after his resignation. In 1834 presbytery granted the petition for the moderation of the call, which was accepted by Rev. A. Bower in October, 1834, and on the third Wednesday of December, of the same year, he was installed as pastor by Rev. David McDill, D.D. The congregation soon became too large for the house, and also too large for the pastoral care of one minister. Consequently, in the spring of 1834, arrangements were made for the building of a meeting-house it Fair Haven, and in the following summer a church was built there, and in the fall a petition was presented to presbytery that the portion of the congregation of Hopewell, contiguous to Fair Haven be struck off from the main church, and, if considered expedient, to grant the moderation of a call for a pastor. This petition was granted and the history of the Fair Haven church tells the rest. John Pinkerton had been session clerk until this time. When he joined the new church at Fair Haven. John Caldwell was appointed to fill the vacancy caused by his removal. Owing to difficulties that arose in the congregation the pastor, Rev. A. Bower, resigned in June, 1837. The church was supplied until September 19, by Rev. S. W. McCracken, who was installed pastor on the last Tuesday of December, 1839. It was just prior to this time that a number of the congregation, living near Oxford, joined the United Presbyterian Church at that place. Mr. McCracken labored for twenty years, during which time the congregation gradually increased, and although another swarm left the hive to form the Unity church at College Corner in the winter of 1849-50, and a very considerable number emigrated to the west, the church was as strong, numerically, at the close of the pastor's labors, as it was at the beginning. He died September 10, 1859,loved and lamented by all. August 7, 1860, Rev. J. C. McHatten was called, and soon afterwards installed. As has already been stated the Morning Sun congregation became a separate organization of the United Presbyterian Church, and on December 28, 1877, one hundred and one of the members of Hopewell were dismissed to that church. In October, 1877, Rev. J. C. Campbell, the present pastor began his labors among the people of Hopewell. The church, at present, is in a flourishing condition. The records show that since the establishment of the church there have been eight hundred and sixty-four baptisms and one hundred and forty-two deaths in the Hopewell church proper. There have been fifty ruling elders, as follows: Alexander Hamilton, William McGaw, John Pressly, John Patterson, Ebenezer Elliott, James Boyse, David McQuiston, Nathaniel Brown, John Foster, Andrew McQuiston, John Pinkerton, John Giles, William Gilmore, John Douglas, Samuel McDill, James Brown, sr., John Caldwell, Thomas Pinkerton, David Robertson, William McCaw, Archibald McDill, James Brown, jr., Hugh McDill, David McDill, John Ramsey, George Ramsey, Andrew Hamilton, John McDill, John Buck, Robert Marshall, Robert Simpson, Richard Sloan, Hugh McQuiston, James McCracken, James Davidson, John Simpson, Hugh Elliott, Thomas Buck, Samuel B. McQuiston, William Caskey, Hugh Ramsey, James A. Brown, William Bell, and A. B. Rock. The Sabbath school has about one hundred scholars, with James A. Brown superintendent. A remarkable coincidence is the fact that the first of the original members of Hopewell, who was called away by death, was Thomas McDill, and that the list of these first members was his wife, who died in 1867, at the advanced age of ninety-five years. HOPEWELL CEMETERY was the first public burying ground in Israel Township. As one family circle after another came within the confines of the township, each one, sooner or later, found its central and dearest spot in this country church-yard, the church, life's fountain; the yard, death's treasury, and scarcely a step between. Than this God's first acre, there is none other in the township so rich with precious dust. Throughout the township are the cheerful results of pioneer work, but there are no individual monuments to the sturdy workers, save in the graveyard, where each in his narrow cell forever laid, the rude forefathers of the township sleep." The first tree felled where Hopewell cemetery now stands, yielded to the ax of Thomas McDill, sr., about the year 1812-13, and the first man who was buried there was none other than Mr. McDill. He went into the War of 1812, and returned with impaired health, and soon after died, thus becoming the pioneer of the silent city. June 13, 1813, he was buried, aged thirty-seven. He and his wife Mary, were among the original members of Hopewell church. He was the first member called away by death, and strange to say, his wife, who died August 2, 1872, at the advanced age of ninety-seven years, was the last survivor of the original members. A plain block of marble in the center of the graveyard marks their last resting place. Around them lie more than a thousand. Most of the graves are marked, though a few have sunk almost out of sight, and entirely out of memory. Though there are quite a number of lowly grass-grown headstones, indicative of children's graves, it is noticeable that most of the dead lived out the full measure of their days, and entered the graveyard in the winter of life. Approaching from the east, the first group of graves is that of a number of ministers of the Gospel. 'The first inscription is "To the memory of the Rev. John Stele, died January 11, 1837, aged sixty-four. A preacher mighty in the Scriptures, a scribe well instructed in the law. " His monument almost touches one "Sacred to the memory of Rev. Alexander Porter, died march 29, 1836, aged sixty-six years. Born in 1770, in South Carolina, received the rudiments of a classical education in the south, and finished at Dickinson college, Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Licensed to preach the Gospel of the grace of God in the Associate Reformed church, October-18, 1796; ordained in 1797, and labored in the Lords vineyard nearly forty years." Near by, Rev. James B. Foster, who died February 27, 1873, though dead, yet speaks from his tombstone, "We shall rise again." Mr. Foster was born in Israel Township, and became a United Presbyterian minister, afterwards joining the Presbyterian Church. His last charge was at Cumminsville, near Cincinnati. Just beyond is the grave of Rev. Samuel W. McCracken, who died September 18, 1859, aged fifty-nine. Mr. Porter and Mr. McCracken were faithful pastors of Hopewell church. Mr. Steele presided at the installation of Father Porter, and it was at his earnest wish that he was buried beside Mr. Porter, whom be especially esteemed. Mrs. Porter died in 1850, aged eighty-two, and Mrs. McCracken died in ----, they rest beside their husbands. A hurried review of the various inscriptions shows that the following prominent settlers are here buried: William Ramsey died 1838, aged ninety-one, and wife, Martha, 1842, aged seventy-one; David McQuiston, jr., 1870, sixty-eight; John Caldwell, 1838, forty-seven; William Gilmore, 1837, forty; Robert Gilmore, 1839, fifty-three; Hugh Ramsey, 1865, eighty-six; William Douglas, 1854, eighty-five; Samuel McDill, 1851, eighty-five; Thomas McDill, 1813, thirty-seven; David McQuiston, sr., 1823, eighty-eight; Hugh McQuiston, sr., 1845, eighty; Richard Sloan, 1848, eighty; Samuel Hamilton, 1822, forty-nine; David Bonner, 1844, seventy-five; John Pinkerton, 1852 eighty-four ; John Patterson, 1857, seventy-five; James Brown, sr., 1834, fifty-five; James Paxton, sr., 1830, forty-eight; William McCreary, 1822, forty-seven; William McGaw, 1836, eighty-six; John Buck, 1871, eighty-six; William Buck, 1857, sixty nine; John McClanahan, 1860, eighty-five; George Simpson, 1859, eighty-four; David Boyse, 1827, sixty-four; David Gary, 1840, seventy-one; Robert Boyse, 1820, forty; James Marshall, sr., 1861, eighty-five; John Marshall, 1828, fifty-five; Ebenezer Elliott, 1849, seventy-eight; Ralph Brown, 1880, eighty-three; Alexander Waugh, 1840, seventy; John Douglas, 1840, sixty-four; William Pinkerton, 1848, fifty-four; George Pinkerton, 1854, fifty-one; Andrew McQuiston, 1821, sixty; James Boyse, 1842, seventy-three; Henry Bell, 1851, sixty-two; David Robertson, 1879, eighty-three; Rebecca Whiteman, 1877, ninety-one; Thomas Harper, 1814, seventy-three; James Brown, 1824, fifty-five; Samuel Paxton, 1854, seventy-six; George R. Brown, 1845, seventy-one; John Milligan, 1823, forty-four; and Samuel Bell, 1867, aged eighty-six. It is estimated that more than a thousand people are buried in this place. The original ground comprised about an acre of land, but recently the cemetery was formally handed over to the township trustees, who have enlarged it, and otherwise improved it. Hopewell cemetery has for many years been the principal burying-ground in the township. There is also a virtual cemetery site at http://ohpreble.ohgenweb.net/hopewell/ Family members from Abbeville District who migrated to Preble County include: Samuel Patterson & family William McGaw & Mary Patterson (sister of Samuel) John Patterson (brother of Samuel) James Patterson (brother of Samuel) David Pressley & Jane Patterson (sister of Samuel) James Boyce and Mary McGaw (daughter of Mary Paterson) Robert Boyce & Jane McGaw (daughter of Mary Patterson) Thomas Pinkerton & Margaret McGaw (daughter of Mary Patterson) John Pinkerton & family (father of Thomas Pinkerton) Hopewell records list the following members of the Hopewell Church 1819-1833 from the handwritten records of Rev. Alexander Porter: Samuel Patterson Susannah William John Robert Ginny Becky Rosanna's name is incorrectly transcribed as Susannah. Homer Irwin transcribed this in 1964 from his original records done in Weston shorthand. It was compiled by Marjorie Paxton Palmer from his work and is in the Preble County Room of the Eaton Library. Samuel Patterson bought property in Preble Co, OH, 06 Oct 1812. Samuel Patterson assignee of John Ritchey, E half R1 T6 S 30 He sold property in Preble Co, OH, 25 Sep 1813. Samuel Patterson to John Garver $785 SE 1/4 S30, T6, R1 He sold property in Preble Co, OH, 05 Oct 1813. Samuel Patterson to John Ritchey $302 NE 1/4 S30, T6, R1 He sold property in Preble Co, OH, 12 Dec 1814. Samuel Patterson to John Patterson $100 W side SWp S30, T6, R1 He sold property in Preble Co, OH, 19 Mar 1817. Samuel Patterson and Rosanna to Tobias Miller E side SW 1/4 S30, T6, R1 He sold property in Preble Co, OH 16 Feb 1821. Samuel and Rosannah Patterson to William P. Patterson pt SE 1/4, S21, T6R1 & N pt of said 1/4 He sold property in Preble Co, OH 03 Sep 1821. Samuel Patterson and wife Rosannah to Sam Pressley and John Pressley SE 1/4, S19, T6R1 He sold property in Preble Co, OH, 30 Aug 1826. Samuel and Rosannah Patterson Sr of Preble to Robert and Mary Smith their daughter, for love, affection for daughter and son-in-law, better maintenance, preferment, livelihood. Pt SW 1/4 S21 T6 R2, 20 acres. Witness John Pinkerton, Jane Patterson. Recorded 9-16-1826 He sold property in Preble Co, OH 14 Jan 1830. Samuel Patterson and Rosannah his wife to John Patterson pt SW 1/4, S21, T6 R1 He sold property in Preble Co, OH 01 Nov 1832. Samuel Patterson and Rosannah Patterson to Robert Patterson pt SW 1/4, S21, T6 R1 SE corner. He sold property in Preble Co, OH 31 Aug 1833. Samuel Patterson to Robert C. Patterson S pt SE 1/4, S21, T6 R2. also pt SW 1/4 S22 Tg R2. He sold property in Preble Co, OH 16 Nov 1835. Samuel Patterson and Rosannah Patterson to Enoch M. Prebble Eaton Lot 1 From "Preble County, Ohio Probate Abstracts" by Audrey Gilbert Estates and Guardianships Cases 501 through 9999 pg 7. #531 Samuel Patterson - Executors William (son) Patterson and William Hall. Surety: Levi Jones and Joseph Fowler. Will Abstract: to wife Rosannah in lieu of dower all household and kitchen furniture of every kind, mare, 4 head of cattle, 4 hogs; to youngest daughter Rebeccah Patterson $50; balance after debts are paid to be equally divided between all my children: Samuel, William, John, Robert C., Mary w/o Robert Smith, Jane w/o Hugh Marshall, and Rebeccah Patterson. Signed 4 Sept 1833. Filed 3 Dec 1833. Joseph Miller; Achey & Deem, shroud dated Dec 1833; J.L. Waugh; David Brown; coffin for Samuel dated dec 21, 1833; Alfred Beall; Myers Miller and William McMechan to prove will; Ingersol & Inman; Lurten Dunham; inventory by appraisers: John Stubbs, John Zimmerman, John Beatty, William Gilmore, Charles Demoss. Those who purchased items at sale: William, John, Rosannah, and Robert Patterson, William Fornshell, William Hall, Myers Miller, James Lane, Richard Newport, Joshua Skiner, Aaron Simpson, Robert Venson, Joseph Forman, and Robert Marshall. Samuel Patterson is buried in the old Patterson Cemetery near Hopewell. see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~pattersonhistory/Preble_Cemet eries.htm for burial info.


RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.