Individual Page

Marriage: Children:
  1. Person Not Viewable

  2. Person Not Viewable

a. Note:   John enlisted in the 1st. Brigade, 1st. Battery as a driver in thefield artillery, Canadian Expeditionary Force in Valcartier, Quebec onSeptember 22, 1914. His Regimental number was 40172. He belonged tothe active militia and had 3 years prior service as a member of theNorth of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry (North Irish Horse) and 3 years inThe Governor Generals Body Guard, Toronto, Canada. He was 5' 7" tall,His chest girth expanded was 35", complexion was dark, grey eyes andblack hair. Member of the Church of England. His left arm had ahorse's head and crossed flags tattoo and a tattoo of a flag and rifleon his right arm. Sailed from Quebec to England on the SS Saxonia onSeptember 30, 1914. Embarked from Avonmouth England for France onFebruary 10, 1915. Appointment in the field to be acting Bombadier onJune 24, 1915. Promoted to Corporal February 22, 1916 and to SergeantAugust 1, 1916. John's military will of July 13, 1916 gave $100 to hisfriend Miss Docidle (sp?) Robinson of Ravenhill Park, Belfast, Irelandand the rest of his property to his mother. Wounded by a mustard gasshell, which damaged his eyes and blistered his skin on August 17,1917 at Loos and transfered to #7 General Hospital in Saint Omer,France. A cable was sent home on August 30 saying that he was woundedand another on September 17 that he was doing well. Transfered toBevan Military Hospital in Sandgate, Kent, England and the MilitaryHospital, Shorncliffe on September 4, 1917. To the CanadianConvalescent Hospital in Monks Horton, Kent on October 7, 1917.Discharged from hospital December 13, 1917 and transfered to Wiltey.To Bramshott on March 22, 1918 and back to Wiltey on April 4, 1918.Posted to Rhyl January 23, 1919 and left Rhyl for Canada February 15,1919 on the HMT Canada. Arrived in Halifax on February 23, 1919. Hisprior to discharge exam said he had Scarlet Fever as a child, hammertoes and a broken nose (Abt. 1903) before entering the Army. Frombeing gassed he had a partial loss of function of eyes and artificiallight hurts them and reading was not advisable. Discharged in Torontofor medical problems (Chronic Conjunctivitis) from being gassed, onMarch 17, 1919. Awarded the 1914-15 star, British War and VictoryMedals. Bio and timeline from Vic Griffin John Pelan Griffin 1891- 1970 1909 - 1911 - Member of the North Irish Horse. July 21,1911 - Left Belfast with Sydney and sailed from Liverpool onthe S.S. Lake Champlain arriving in Toronto on August 1. August 3, 1911 - Started working for the T. Eaton Co. in the mailorder department. March 1912 - Was transferred to the Drapery Department where he stayeduntil August 1914. August 4, 1914 - Britain declared war on Germany. August 1914 - He enlisted with the Princess Pats, after giving up theThird Battalion where he was a sergeant in the Governor General's BodyGuard. August 13, 1914 - Arrived in Ottawa at eight o'clock in the morningand marched to the Exhibition Grounds where he spent a week with theP.P.C.L.I. August 20, 1914 - Transferred to the 1st Battery, Canadian FieldArtillery, which was moved to the Salisbury Plains in October of 1914. September 22, 1914 - Attestation papers completed at Valcartier,Quebec. September 30, 1914 - CEF sailed for England. He was aboard theSaxonia, one of close to 40 vessels in the fleet February 10, 1915 - 1st Battery, 1st Brigade, 1st Division was landedin France and engaged in the fighting until he was badly gassed onAugust 17, 1917. March 17,1919 - He was discharged from the service and returned toToronto, Canada. March 31, 1919 - He returned to the Drapery Dept. of the T. Eaton Co. March 1920 - He started working for the Murray-Kay Co. Ltd. This firmwas dissolved in 1924. February 1924 - He started with Daly & Morin and was there untilAugust of 1937 when he was sent to Christie Street Hospital, for ninemonths, with a severe case of pleurisy. He returned to work with Daly& Morin until November, when Mr. Daly thought he had an invalid on hishands and gave him two weeks notice. He worked at John Inglis onStrachan Ave in 1943 and John Woods on Coxwell Ave, Toronto, alsoduring wartime, making shells and munitions for shipping overseas.During this period he went into the drapery business for himself parttime and eventually full time up until 1951 when he joined the Corpsof Commissionaires. In 1953 he had an OPP permit to carry a revolverwhenever he was assigned to Brink's Express. Over the years he workedin the evenings at the Horse Show as part of the Winter Fair. He waspart of the crew who set up the jumps and replaced fallen rails. Jack or Paddy was a member of the North Irish Horse from 1909 - 1911.He joined the Orange Order in 1912 and served as a Master from 1924 -1925. He joined the Masonic Order in 1944 and became a Life Member. Hewas a member of the Governor General's Body Guard, later to become theHorse Guard. He joined the 1st Battery, 1st Brigade, 1st Division ofthe C.F.A., serving in England, France and Belgium. Upon returning toCanada he rejoined the GGBG for a period of 15 years (1919 - 1934). Hewas a Life Member of the Originals Club. is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.