Individual Page


Family
Marriage: Children:
  1. Charles Ford: Birth: ABT 1832.

  2. John Ford: Birth: ABT 1834.

  3. Henry Ford: Birth: ABT 1837.

  4. Daughter Ford: Birth: ABT 1839.

  5. Mary Ford: Birth: 18 DEC 1840.

  6. Edward Ford: Birth: 21 JAN 1843 in Greenville, IN. Death: ABT 1920

  7. Emory Ford: Birth: 1846.


Sources
1. Title:   Alex Luken, op. cit. Dec., 2000 This date is also given as Nov. 9, 1854
2. Title:   Sharen in Massachusetts, <[email protected]@AOL.COM>, February, 2002, a relative
3. Title:   See notes herein from his company, 2001, from Alex Luken

Notes
a. Note:   From notes given by Sharen, op. cit., he was named for his maternal grandfather Jean Baptiste of France. His mother, Margaret, died in 1840. His father was Jonathan Ford of Va. Jean Baptiste Ford was their third child. From Alex Luken, op. cit.: Natural gas was the foundation of Ford City, and this abundant and clean fuel, together with admirable natural advantages and a supply of suitable materials, caused the late Capt. John B. Ford to select the site for the present immense plate glass works, around which the city has grown. Captain Ford's first venture in the plate glass industry was at New Albany, Ind., where he became financially embarrassed, but although an old man then, he again established himself at Creighton, Pa. As there were no plate glass polishers in this country, he persuaded Matthias R. Pepper to come from England to take the position of chief of the polishing department, and with his help the business was put upon a firm foundation. In 1888 he visited the portion of Manor township south of Kittanning and at once took steps to purchase the land on which Ford City now stands. With him were interested Hon. John H. Painter, Marcus D. Wayman and Matthias R. Pepper, and jointly they started the Ford Plate Glass Company. Mr. Pepper, who was the first plate glass polisher in America, was made superintendent of the works, while the machinery was designed and installed by Wayman. From this start arose the thriving and populous city which bears the name of its founder. On Nov. 17, 1891, a statue of Captain Ford was unveiled in the park at Ford City, in honor of his birthday, by the contributions of 3,000 workmen connected with the plate glass works. Captain Ford, although eighty years of age, was able to attend the unveiling and deliver an address to his grateful employees. His death occurred in 1893, at the age of eighty-two, after a life of many ups and downs, finally crowned with success. The works started to operate in 1889 with a few workmen and a moderate equipment, and now the plant is the largest in the world, covering twenty acres of ground and employing over 2,000 men. The sand for the manufacture of the glass is secured from Kemmerton, Pa., and the rock in the quarries across the Allegheny from the town is transferred by wire rope transmission to the main plant, after being crushed to sand, and used for grinding the plate glass. Thirteen and one half million square feet of the finest grade of plate glass is produced here in one year and marketed in all parts of the world. The heart and life of Ford City is the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company. The local manager is R. C. Beatty, and the superintendents are G. C. Taylor and H. A. Reynolds. Also on the Glass Works, we have an article located on the Web by Alex Luken who kindly sent it to me in June 2007. Louisville Glass Factories of the 19th Century - Part 2, David Whitten (http://www.blm.gov/historic_bottles/pdffiles/LouisvilleGlass2_Whitten.pdf) "Louisville Plate Glass Works (c.1874-c.1888) "This factory was started in 1874 by Captain John B. Ford, and was located in the Portland area of Louisville. In "The Roots Grow Deep" by William Earl Aiken (1957), a letterhead from the company is reproduced, with the name given as "Louisville Plate Glass Manufacturing Company". Be that as it may, the factory was known in most contemporary records as the "Louisville Plate Glass Works." The 1875 Louisville city directory lists John B. Ford as the company president, and the factory was referred to in some sources as "Ford's Glass Works." In 1875 Ford abruptly ceased his relationship with the company, and by 1880 the factory, or a majority of the interest, had been purchased by Washington C. DePauw who was already operating a glass factory in New Albany, Indiana at the time (W.C. DePauw's American Plate Glass Works). Julian Toulouse (Bottle Makers and their Marks) states that the firm name was "Louisville Kentucky Glass Works" and he seemed to promote the idea that it was a relatively smooth continuation of the Louisville Glass Works which had ceased the year before. Not so... this was a different company, under different ownership, which did not make bottles. This misunderstanding has caused confusion for researchers who did not carefully check and cross-reference their sources of information. Although this factory was listed as the "Louisville Glass Works" in a few directory listings, that was merely a shortened, more "familiar" form of the official company name. LPGW did not make glassware such as bottles or jars, but instead concentrated on rough plate-glass and mirrors. The rough plate glass produced in Louisville was then sent over to New Albany and polished at the DePauw plate glass works. In a newspaper article dated Saturday, Jan 31, 1880 (from the LOUISVILLE COMMERCIAL), the operation was apparently about to be sold (or more likely, leased) to French interests who were planning to bring over highly skilled workers from Europe to help revitalize the works. I did not find out what happened with this scenario, but W.C. DePauw was still involved in this factory as late as the mid-1880s, and probably until it's closing. A survey of the surnames of employees show that the majority of the glassworker sat this factory were of English or French descent, in contrast to the bottle-making plants in Louisville in which case the majority of workers were of German heritage. The plate glass works were often closed down for several months at a time. By approximately 1888, the factory had apparently failed, and on the 1892 Louisville Sanborn fire insurance map showing the site, a notation reads "Buildings Vacant - Machinery Removed". By 1905 (per the Sanborn map of that year), the factory had been completely demolished. The site where this factory once stood is now the location of Portland Park, a small neighborhood park which occupies most of one city block." Also from Alex in January 2007 Nina Ford, John Richter Published: April 13, 1997 Naneen Evans Ford, the daughter of Marian Smithers Moore of New York and the late Thomas Evans Ford, was married yesterday to John Bernard Richter, a son of Mrs. John Best Richter of Flourtown, Pa., and the late Mr. Richter. The Rev. Stan Moseley performed the ceremony at the Roman Catholic Church of St. Thomas More in New York. Mrs. Richter, who is 33 and is known as Nina, is an interior designer who owns Distinctive Design Limited in New York. She attended Columbia University. The bride's father was a private investor. Her mother is an interior designer who owns MSM Enterprises in New York. The bride is a granddaughter of the late R. Brinkley Smithers, who founded the Smithers Alcoholism Treatment Center in New York. Her great-grandfather Christopher D. Smithers was a founder of I.B.M. She is also a descendant of Capt. John Baptiste Ford, the founder of Michigan Alkali, later Wyandotte Chemical, of which her late grandfather Emory Moran Ford was the president. Captain Ford was also a pioneer in plate glass and its use in automobile windshields. Mr. Richter, 38, is the bureau manager in Philadelphia for the PR News Wire, a wire service. He graduated from Villanova University. His father was the vice president of the Federated Securities Corporation and a partner in Butcher-Sherred, which was a brokerage firm, both in Philadelphia.


RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.