Note: Owned "Walnut Grove" Walnut Grove was established between 1835 and 1847. 1843 founded the Cheneyville's Christian (Campbelite) Church 1850 Rapides parish , LA US census age 40, planter $2,000 1851-1860 LA Sugar Census 1860 U.S. Census Louisiana Rapides Unknown Townships>age 50>farmer>pg 240 The Campbellites The schism that developed among members of Beulah Baptist church in the 1840s in particularly interesting in its relation to the similar happenings across the southern frontier. Spirited Jabez Tanner whose parents were instrumental in founding Beulah Baptist, led the dissenters to a final break with the older congregation. Since the entire community was almost totally connected with a maze of kinship ties, the break with the older church produced great pain and suffering among family members and, as a descendant recounted it, "The Up-the-Bayou Tanners didn't speak to the Down-the-Bayou Tanners for years." Jabez Tanner felt called upon to put the story of the development of the schism, the breaking off and building of the new church into print. He wrote that he was early accused of being a Campbellite, a popular frontier religious movement, but he had never heard of it. He accordingly wrote for information. That a connection was made there can be little doubt, since Joseph and Alexander Campbell apparently visited Cheneyville and its new church. (In 1840, Brooke County became home to Bethany College, the first college in the state. Alexander Campbell, who also founded the Disciples of Christ Church, founded Bethany College. Bethany's central building, Old Main, was constructed from 1858 to 1872. Built in the Scottish Gothic style, it was modeled after buildings at the University of Glasgow in Scotland. Old Main is on the National Register of Historical Sites.) No more historic ruin survives in the parish than the four columns left of the Christian Church built in the 1840s on Bayou Boeuf as Old Cheneyville. 1851-1860 LA Sugar Census P.A. Champomier listed the following sugar cane planters, and their production in hogsheads of sugar for 1851-52. "R" and "L" designate "right" or "left" of the river: BAYOU BOEUF: Jabez Tanner................................L..............147
Note: (Research):PAUL JABEZ TANNER: Jabez was the twelfth child of Robert Tanner and Providence Robert. He was born in Woodville, Mississippi in April 1810, and died on Bayou Boeuf at his home, Walnut Grove, in December of 1863. In June of 1833, he married his first cousin, Esther Providence (Robert) Bettison. She had been born in 1815 and died in 1871. Esther was the daughter of David Bettison and Sarah Catherine Robert. Walnut Grove was established between 1835 and 1847. It replaced Magnolia Plantation, which was left vacant or rented to others until it was purchased around 1870 by Henry Tanner. Henry was Jabez's fifth son. Originally, Walnut Grove was a 4,000 acre plantation with several barns, a cotton gin, a sawmill, a sugar mill, a gristmill, a blacksmith shop, and a plantation kitchen. Cabins were built for "the people" on either side of the entrance road. Many Rapidians referred to the slaves as "the people." Jabez was a leader in Beulah Baptist Church, but at a point of strong disagreement with older, more conservative members over the contents of "the creed," he, (along with Reverend William Prince Ford), led a movement to alter the creed. When this didn't work out, he and William proceeded to form the First Christian Church of Cheneyville, which was established by 1843. The crux of the problem was that one article of the creed appeared to some members to give credence to predestination, which was not acceptable to church elders. It read: "We believe in the everlasting love of God to His people; in the eternal unconditional election of a definite number of the human family to grace and glory." Church elders would have eliminated all the articles of faith, while Jabez and William wished only to alter them. Many church members called the break-away group "Campbellites." This was the name of a religious movement sweeping the country at that time, a movement that was offensive to mainstream Baptists. Jabez and his followers resented the name, and although Jabez investigated, most of them knew nothing about the movement. In 1859, Jabez owned 5,500 acres, 900 of which were improved. This made Walnut Grove the 15th largest plantation in the parish, out of 89 large plantations. The census placed the value of the real property at $179,600, and of the farm, including implements, at $122,000. Jabez housed his 89 slaves in thirty-six dwelling units, (an average of 2.47 persons per unit). This was the second lowest and second most humane slave-housing density in the parish. In 1859, he utilized ten horses, thirty asses and mules, sixteen working oxen, twenty milk cows, thirty head of other cattle, 175 sheep, and 200 swine. He produced 300 hogsheads of sugar, 9,000 bushels of Indian corn, ten bushels of peas and beans, 150 bushels of Irish potatoes, and 600 bushels of sweet potatoes. He turned out 18,000 gallons of molasses and 400 pounds of wool.
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.