George Scrambling: Birth: ABT 1768.
Title: Summers, William Clark, The Sommer-Sommers-Somers.... That Missed the Boat, Ancestors & Descendants of Rev. Peter Nicholas Sommer (Priv. Pub., 1979)
Page: Pages 78, 146 & 152.
Title: Bible Record and Family History of Catherine Van Alstine Ehle
Title: Jones, Henry Z., Jr., The Palatine Families of New York (A Study of the German Immigrants Who Arrived in Colonial New York in 1710) (Universal City, CA: 1985)
Page: Page 927.
Title: Bible record
Title: Hatcher, Patricia Law, Abstract of Graves of Revolutionary Patriots, Vol. 4 (S-Z) (1988)
Title: New York State Cemeteries Name/Location Inventory, 1995-1997 (The Assoc. of Municipal Historians of New York State, compiled by)
Page: Page 584.
Title: Cemetery visit
Title: Find A Grave, internet
Title: 1790 U.S. Census
Title: Kelly, Arthur C. M., Marriage Record of Two Early Stone Arabia, NY Churches (Reformed Church 1739-1895) (Trinity Lutheran Church 1763-1899) (1982)
Page: Page 4.
Note: f the German Immigrants Who Arrived in Colonial New York in 1710). 1985, Universal City, CA. Pgs. 926-927. "Georg (Ehle Record, as the only s/o Henrich). Yurry Scrimling was a freeholder at Canajoharrie in 1763 (Albany Co. Freeholders). He md. Catharine Jung (Ehle Record). Papers in the estate of George Schremling of Tryon Co., were issued 19 Aug 1782. George inherited the old homestead, probably the one mentioned in History Montgomery & Fulton Counties, p. 95 (HJ). Mrs. Ehle's list of the ch. of Georg is given in her record. "Once again, the missing Mohawk Chbks., particularly Canajoharie registers, make a complete Schrembling family structure difficult. Mrs. Ehle's record adds the [sic] a d/o Henrich md. a Bowman and another d/o Henrich md. a Cramer. A Hendrick Schremeling was a freeholder at Canajoharrie in 1763 (Albany Co. Freeholders); perhaps this entry refers to Henrich at an advanced age, or to Henrich, whom Mrs. Ehle states was a s/o Georg (HJ). Serjeant Henry Shrimling and Private Henry Shrimling were in Lieut. Goshin Van Alstein's Company 8 Aug. 1763 (Report of the State Historian, Vol. II, p. 797); entries for two of the same name such as this one makes me wonder if Mrs. Ehle was correct in stating that Georg was the only s/o the emigrant Henrich, and that perhaps there may have been a Henrich Schrembling (HJ). A Matthew Schremling of Mohawk and a Theobold Schremling of Canajoharie both are noted in lists of Loyalists confiscated property; perhaps they were related to the Tory Schrembling mentioned on page 423 of Simm's History of Schoharie (HJ). The family is also noted in Maryly B. Penrose's fine " 'Mohawk Valley in the Revolution.'" NOTE: The author and I believe Henry is not the sone of George, but a son of the first Hendrick. Additional historical sources regarding this family 1. Upstate New York in the 1760's, Tax Lists and Selected Militia Rolls of Old Albany County, 1760-1768 by Florence Christoph, Pub. Pub. Picton Press. Page 134--Canajoharie tax list 1766--the names of HENCK SCHREMLING and GEORGE SCHREMLING (The SCHREMBLINGS lived south of Canajoharie along the Canajoharie Creek). 2. Arrowheads, Fences, and Iron Horses, A History of the Town of Oneonta, Oneonta DAR Chapter, 1976. (S. Goodspeed sent several pages, I also 8found book at NSDAR in 5/01). Page 6-7--"Another name that has been prominent in pre-Revolutionary history is SCRAMLING. In 1772 HENRY SCRAMLING came with his family from German Flats and settled on the Plains."......."Finally around 1777 the Indian raids made frontier life too dangerous and the settlers took their families back to their former homes. SCRAMLING returned to the Mohawk. HENRY SCRAMLING returned in 1784 with his brothers GEORGE and DAVID. Judge Robert Winn came with them. They had one thousand acres of land, eight hundred on the north side of the river and two hundred on the south side. George opened an inn where the old Peter Van Woert residence was on the Pony Farm. This was probably the first inn within the Town, built in 1784. Page 9--photo of Scramling Cemetery. 3. Mohawk Valley in the Revolution, Committee of Safety Papers and Genealogical Compendium by Maryly B. Penrose, CG, Liberty Bell Associates, 1978. HENDRICK SCRAMLING / SCHREMLING's name on Pgs 155, 158, 171; Deweld Schremling on Page 158; and Peter Schremling on Page 164. 4. From Oneonta Landmarks, Centennial Edition 1895-1995 by Diantha Schrull Dow (S. Goodspeed sent me). Page 6--Scrambling House, Co. Rt. 48 "The SCRAMBLING House is located on the land grant originally awarded to Lt. HENRY SCRAMBLING. The grant included land on both sides of the River. George Scrambling, said to be the builder of the House, was the son of David and Susanna Scrambling. His father and uncles were pre-Revolutionary settlers here, taking refuge in the Mohawk Valley during the War, but returning to the Mohawk Valley during the War, but returning soon after cessation of hostilities. Many other families did likewise. Although George is said to have built the present house, its early style would suggest that perhaps the father had built it. According to local historians, the house is built around a log cabin type structure. It has a huge central fireplace. It is a large version of the "Salt-box" type. Unfortunately there has been renovation both inside and out." Page 39: "Frederick Brown donated the land for the church on Main Street in Oneonta in the early 1800's. A white wooden church was built on that site around 1815. Among the first officers of the church were John Vanderwerker, James Dietz, William Morenus and DAVID and HENRY SCRAMLING. A complete reorganization of the church took place in 1849. A new church was built in 1887 on that same site and enlarged in 1909-1910." 5. Oneonta, The Development of a Railroad Town by Eugene D. Milener, 1993 (S. Goodspeed sent me). Page 431--"In the middle of Pony Farm is a small hill on which stands a single large granite burial monument to honor three 'Soldiers of the American Revolution.' It was erected at the very early date of 1825. DAVID SCHRAMLING, HENRY SCHRAMLING and James Thompson, all served in the Tryon County Militia. Tryon was divided from Albany County in 1772. That was the year HENRY SCHRAMLING first settled his family on the Plains. HENRY, as did everyone else, left during the Revolution and returned with his brother, DAVID, in 1786 at which time he opened a tavern. DAVID SCHRAMLING died in 1824 apparently inspiring the Pony Farm monument. Private cemeteries were frequently placed upon a knoll, which whatever else would not interfere with farming." 6. Otsego County, New York, Geographical and Historical by Edwin F. Bacon, Ph.B., 1902. Page 59--Oneonta-"This township was formed from portions of Milford and Otego in 1830. Of white settlers, previous to the Revolution, little is known. The names of SCRAMLING, YOUNG and Alger are all that have come down to us from that time. Among the early families were those of HENRY SCRAMLING, Frederick Brown, Abram Houghtaling, Wm. Morenus, Peter Swart, James Young, Jacob Wolf and his son Conradt, John and Nicholas Beams, Frederick Bornt, David Alger, Elihue Gifford and his seven sons, Solomon Yager and his son David, Josiah Peet, Ira Emmons, and Dr. Joseph Lindsay, who was the first physician." Page 135-Revolutionary Soliders, "DAVID SCRAMLING, who died in 1824 was grandfather of Allen Scramling. HENRY SCRAMLING who died in 1882 (Note: this date incorrect in book) was Second Lieutenant in Tryon County Militia. James Thompson, a soldier of the French and Indian and Revolutionary wars, was at Bunker Hill. He lived with DAVID SCRAMLING and was never married. These three are buried in the old graveyard on the Ephraim Parish farm." 7. The Mohawk Valley, Its Legends and Its History by W. Max Reid, Reprinted by Harbor Hill Books, 1979. Page 377--"The first name we find applied to the present village of Canajoharie is SCRAMLING, from a tavern kept by HENRY SCRAMLING, situated on the river 'opposite the Freys,' as an early chronicler records it." Page 377-Smith and Wells make the following entry in a journal: '13th May, 1769-At Scramlin's we turned off from the river pursuing a S.W. course for Cherry Valley.'__ 'The carriers tell us that they were paid 30 shillings a load for carrying from Scramlin's to Otsego Lake.'" 8. History of the Mohawk Valley, Gateway to the West 1614-1925. Edited by Nelson Greene, Vol. II, Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1925. Page 1683-HENDRICK SCHREMBLING, Canajoharie's First Settler, 1730-"About 1730 HENDRICK SCHREMBLING, a Palatine German, and Marte Janse Van Alstyne bought of Cadwallader Colden 775 acres at Canajoharie. SCHREMBLING settled on the east side of the creek, while his brothers, GEORGE and JOHN, located on the west bank. In 1750 SCHREMBLING sold the east side property to his partner, Van Alstyne, who then came to live here. SCHREMBLING moved to the west bank farm, where he kept a tavern, store and mill. The SCHREMBLINGS left Canajoharie and the valley at the close of the Revolution." 9. History of Montgomery and Fulton Counties, NY, reprinted by Heart of the Lakes Publishing, 1981. Page 95--"[Johannes Roof] Canajoharie, bought a farm upon which Henry SCHREMLING, an early settler, had built a stone dwelling. It stood directly back of the present Eldridge or Lovett House until about the year 1840, when it was demolished. Page 96--"HENRY SCHREMLING, above mentioned, little can be learned. SCHREMLING in the latter part of the last century had a mill near the site of Arkell & Smith's dam in Canajoharie. His name was pronounced Scrambling, and the place was called from him SCRAMBLING'S Mills." Page 101--"The modern house erected in front of the old stone edifice bought of HENRY SCHREMBLING by John Roof, and kept as a tavern by him, and his son after him, which is called the 'Stage House' and has a coach and four pictured on its front, was kept in 1826 by Reuben Peake, and a few years later by Elisha Kane Roof, who, about 1833 was succeed by George B. Murray." 10. Fort and Firesides of the Mohawk County New York, by John J. Vrooman, Pub. Baronet Litho Co., 1951. Page 197--Early Settlers in Oneonta-"One of these brothers was named Martin [Van Alstyne] and it was he who went to Canajoharie and there in 1749 built this house and a mill in partnership with HENDRICK SCHREMBLING, who had arrived a year previous. The partners were also engaged in the forwarding of freight up and down the river by batteaux, no doubt finding this a profitable adjunct to the milling business, being able to transport their own merchandise in their own boats. SCREMBLING soon sold his interest to Van Alstyne and it is the latter name which has clung to the old stone house." Page 70--[William Brouwer] "He bought of HENDRICK SCHREMLING, one of the original settlers of the Stone Arabia Patent, 450 acres on December 10, 1739." 11. A History of Oneonta, From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time by Dudley M. Campbell, Pub. G.W. Fairchild & Co., 1906. Page 29--"The first settlers in this part of the valley were from the older settlements on the Mohawk. Among the earliest pioneers was HENRY SCRAMBLING and family from German Flats. He came some years before the war began, and settled near the Otesgo creek bridge. Some idea can be formed of the hardships endured by this family when it is recalled that the mill, for flouring their grain, was on the Mohawk, east of Fort Plain. The grain was conveyed in small boats or canoes to the head of Otsego lake and then to its destination by pack-horses. To make this journey of fifty miles or more and return required several days. The wants of the family could be supplied in no other way except when dire necessity brought into use the Indian motar and pestle. The troubled condition of the country after the year 1775 compelled Mr. SCHRAMLING to return to his former home on the Mohawk. After the close of hostilities, he, with his brothers GEORGE and DAVID, came back to the Susquehanna." (Personal note, from pg. 30: Around 1790, Thomas Morenus, Peter Swartz and Frederick Brown (from Fulton, NY) settled this area.) 12. The Old New York Frontier, 1614-1800 by Francis Whiting Halsey, Chas. Scribner's Sons, NY, 1902. Page 129--"Near the mouth of Otego Creek about 1772 settled HENRY SCRAMLING, who took up 1,000 acres on both sides of the Susquehanna, and during the war was a second lieutenant in the Tryon County militia. Near the mouth of the Charlotte settled Henry Young, whose family appear to have been at Worcester, MA, with the Rev. William Johnson thirty years before. HENRY SCRAMLING had two brothers, DAVID and GEORGE, who came with him either before the war or on his return after it. Some of the Scramling lands have never passed from possession of the family, who originally were from Fort Plain. George Scramling kept the first tavern in Oneonta, on a site where afterward stood the Peter Van Woert residence. David Young was a brother-in-law of HENRY SCRAMLING, and with him came his brother, John Young." Page 177--"In Herkimer's party were the Rev. William Johnson, Colonel Johnson, his son, and Lieutenant Colonel Cox, with others whose names are already familiar in this history, or are afterward to become so. In the first battalion of militia was Samuel Clyde, a captain, and HENRY SCRAMLING, a second lieutenant." Page 334-"Van Der Werker had been in the valley with HENRY SCRAMLING before the war, and with SCRAMLING returned as soon as the conflict ceased. With SCRAMLING came his two brothers DAVID and GEORGE, and their brothers-in-law, David and John Young. During the war, the father of the SCRAMLINGS had been killed by the Indians, and David and George had been in Canada as captives. David's wife had also been a prisoner." 13. History of Schoharie County and Boarder Wars of New York by Jeptha R. Simms, A Heritage Classic, 1991 (reprinted). Page 423--"The citizens of Cadaughrity built temporary huts next day, and erected log dwellings soon after, in which they passed the winter. Leaving the Schoharie valley the enemy entered that of the Mohawk. They avoided Fort Hunter, from which they were fired upon, approaching no nearer to it in a body, than the present residence of Richard Hudson, distant half a mile or more. At the latter place there resided a German named SCHREMBLING, who, although a Tory, chanced to be outside of his house, and being unknown, was killed and scalped; his family were however left undistributed." This article applies to Henry's father, George. 14. The Pioneers of Unadilla Village, 1784-1840 by Francis Whiting Halsey, Unadilla, NY, 1902. Page 45--"At the meeting in 1797 it was voted that 'the town will beat the expense of sending after Esquire SCRAMLING, or some other magistrate to quality the town officers.' And in 1797 that 'the town will allow the Town Clerk five dollars for his services for the last."' Page 104-"Two Ouleout names that appear on the muster roll are Abraham Fuller who built the mill there probably before the war, and Abraham Hodges, while among other names are Daniel and David Ogden of Otego, and HENRY SCRAMLING and John VanDewerker of Oneonta." 15. A History of Otego by Stuart B. Blakey, Crist, Scott & Parshall, Cooperstown, NY, 1933. Page 37--"There is a tract of 1000 acres in the Wallace patent about the mouth of the Otego creek, about which there has been much speculation. It belonged to Sir William Johnson before his death in 1774. It was called his "Dreamland Tract," tradition saying that it had been given him, because of a dream that he had, by King Hendricks of the Mohawks. The author has made a special effort to trace the early history of this piece of land, but has been only partially successful. It was sold by Hugh Wallace and Gouldsbrow Banyar to Sr. William Johnson between 1770 and 1773. The reason why Johnson desired and bought his bit of land at this place is obscure, but would be the most interesting thing about it. On 5 March 1776 it was conveyed by John Johnson, son of Sr. William, to GEORGE SCRAMLING and Adam Young. The late Allen Scramling told the author that this tract of 1000 acres, 800 of which was on the north side and 200 on the south side of the river all finally came into the SCRAMLING family and was possessed by the three brothers as follows: What is known as the John Van Woert place and the west 100 acres on the south side of the river were owned by David; the land west of this place and also north on the Otego creek was owned by HENRY, the west line of his holdings being the west line of what is known as the Nelson Cole place, what is known as the Peter Van Woert farm, where Roberts and Tyler live, and the other 100 acres on the south side of the river were owned by George. The later history of the tract is very complex." Page 45--"About 1787 the tide of immigration began to come in. The first settlements were among the river and on its south side. It is to be marked that the first sesttlers were of Dutch and German extraction from Albany and Schoharie counties and the Mohawk valley. Among them are found such names as Winn, Mericle, SCRAMLING, Calder, Snouse, Wiles Vanderweiker, HESS, Overhuyser, Quackenboss, Bovie, Brimmer and Youmans." 16. The Old Mohawk Turnpike Book by Nelson Greene, The Mohawk Valley Historic Assoc., Inc. (This information pertains to this Henry's father.) Page 148--"HENDRICK SCHREMBLING, Canajoharie's First Settler, 1730 "About 1730 HENDRICK SCHREMBLING a Palatine German and Marte Janse Van Alstyne bought of Cadwallader Colden 775 acres at Canajoharie. SCHREMBLING settled on the east side of the creek, while his brothers, GEORGE and JOHN, located on the west bank. In 1750 SCHREMBLING sold the east side property to his partner, Van Alstyne, who then came to live here. SCHREMBLING moved to the west bank farm, where he kept a tavern, store and mill. The SCHREMBLINGS left Canajoharie and the valley at the close of the Revolution. Gose Van Alstyne built another grist mill on the creek about 1760. Col. Hendrick Frey built a grist mill and a house here about 1772 and the Van Alstyne, SCHREMBLING and Frey families were the residents here prior to the Revolution. In 1778 Johannes Roof came to Canajoharie and bought out SCHREMBLING and conducted the inn." 17. History of Otsego County, New York, Pub. by Everts & Fariss, Philadelphia, 1878. Page 13--"Oneonta received its first white settlers prior to the Revolution, but the precise date is not known. Their names were HENRY SCRAMLIN and a Mr. YOUNG." Page 226--"Other early settlers were Thomas Manter, Jedediah Butler, HENRY SCRAMLIN, Aaron Brink, Frederick Brown, Josiah Peck, and David J. Evans." Page 231--"And on the next day, the Sabbath, the 25th (january 24, 1800), he preached two sermons at the house of Mr. Frederick Brown, of this place, after which he proceeded to organize a church, in due form ordaining as elders John Houghtaling, HENRY SCRAMLIN, John Van De Werks, James Deitz, and as deacons, William Merenoss, David Scramlin, Aaron Barnes, and James Quackenboss." Page 239--"The first settlement in Otego were made as early as 1787, some of the first being Dutch, from Albany county and the Mohawk valley and Schoharie. These people settled along in the valley of the Susquehanna River. They were the Wins, Mericles, SCRAMLINGS, Calder, Snouse, and Wild, and Shellman, a famous hunter; and Vanderweriker, HESS, Overhisers on the north side of the river; and on the south side were John Christian, SCRAMLING, Houtise, Smith and Snouse." Page 240--"There was much privation and suffering for the first few years in this early settlement. One of the brothers SCRAMLING, who settled the farm recently owned by Peter Van Woert, sowed ten acres of peas with the intention of supplying the hungry settlers-who were crowding in larger numbers than usual into the woods for settlement with food, which he gave them without seeking remuneration." This index is to be used with Gertrude A. Barber's "Abstracts of Otsego County Wills, 1794-1850", in five Volumes. It was contributed to this site by Marty Irons. http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyotsego/barberindex.htm NAME OF DECEASED SPOUSE YEAR BARBER SURROGATE PROB. VOL PG LIBER PG SCHREMLING, DAVID 1824 1 43 E 530 SCHREMLING, DAVID 1824 1 44 E 530 SCHREMLING, HENDRICK EVA 1810 1 16 C 18 Notes for George S. who married Catherine Young Upstate New York in the 1760's, Tax Lists and Selected Militia Rolls of Old Albany County, 1760-1768, by Florence Christoph, Pub. Pub. Picton Press, Page 134--Canajoharie tax list 1766--the names of Henck Schremling and George Schremling (The Schremblings lived south of Canajoharie along the Canajoharie Creek). George's sons: HENRY, David and George all on 1788 Tax List for Old England District. (Above George died in 1789, so is not on list.) From The Mohawk, Vol. 9, No. 1: 24. Compendium of Early Mohawk Valley Families, Maryly B.Penrose, C.G., A.S.I., Vol. 2, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. 1990. Page 706. "Schremling, Catharina, (widow of the late George Schremling, decd.), HENDRICK SCHREMLING (eldest son and heir-at-law of George Schremling, decd.), and Sarah, his wife, and John Winn, and Elizabeth, his wife to Melgert Batter (Bader). Deed dated 2/17/87; recorded 3/6/1787. Description. Land situated in Stone Arabia, Montgomery Co., being part of a tract of land granted by patent on 10/19/1723 to Johannes Lawyer, Ludowick Casselman and others, known as Lot #34 (100 acres). Consideration: L300. Witnesses: Fredk. Fisher, Ab. Van Vechen." Note: below this abstract is another deed, dated 5/1/1778--very lengthy, I decided not to type it (BP).
Note: From: Henry Z. Jones, Jr., The Palatine Families of New York (A Study o