Michael McGuire: Birth: 1742. Death: 1 MAY 1818
Note: N10067 * I have tried to connect all the children to the right parents, but as you can see Capt. Michael came with a cousin Michael McGuire at the same time. And there are so many children with the same names. The info below and the cemetery site info is what I used. Errors probable! Loretto centenary page 187 NAME BORN. DIED. M'GUIRE, Capt. Michael 1717 Nov. 17, 1793 Cornelius 1750 Mar. 10, 1830 Peter 1763 Jan. 30, 1850 Mrs. Peter (Charity Shirley)1773 Sept. 13, 1844 Peter 1814 Nov. 7, 1845 Mary May 16, 1766 Nov, 21, 1829 Luke Oct. 2, 1768 Apr. 17, 1831 Mrs. Luke (Margaret O'Hara) 1774 Jan. 10, 1833 Elizabeth Sept. 3, 1801 June 27, 1870 Augustine Sept. 3, 1804 Jan. 31, 1828 Margaret Mar. 27, 1807 Sept. 1, 1878 Michael L. Aug. 28, 1811 Dec. 24, 1852 Captain Richard Dec. 12, 1771 Jan. 13, 1855 Mrs. Richard (Eleanor Byrne) 1782 Aug. 5, 1855 Susan 1791 Aug. 23, 1863 Henry J. Nov. 16, 1794 Oct. 8, 1843 Michael Feb. 18, 1794 July 28, 1878 Mrs. Michael (Margaret Bostick) 1798 Jan. 6, 1891 Martha 1796 Apr. 8, 1876 Luke Apr. 1796 Jan. 9, 1881 Mrs. Luke (Martha Cooper) died Apr. 10, 1876 Luke (of Michael and Patience) May 9, 1800 May 19, 1836 John (of Michael and Patience) June 25, 1805 June 1, 1877 Mrs. John (Susan Storm) Apr. 29, 1806 Aug. 23, 1863 John died Apr. 27, 1878 Mrs. John died Mar. 2, 1878 Mary (of Michael and Sarah) Sept. 1803 June 12, 1872 Patrick died Apr. 2, 1883 Mrs. Patrick (Mary Dougherty) died June 10, 1872 Mark (of Luke and Martha) Oct. 23, 1837 Dec. 28, 1871 Rebecca (of Mark) 1871 Sept. 17, 1882 Mrs. James died Jan. 27, 1889 Andrew (of James and Aline) diedMay 14, 1872 John Gibson (of Heyden) July 20, 1880 Apr. 2, 1897 John died Apr. 28, 1877 Mrs. John (Susan Storm) Apr. 29, 1806 Mar. 3, 1877 John C. died Jan. 2, 1861 history of Parish of St. Augustine page 115 1788 - Capt Michael McGuire and a cousin, Michael McGuire, with their families, moved to the McGuire Settlement near Loretto. history of cambria county page 960 But about this time began the era of territorial development. In the year 1788 Captain Michael McGuire, a hero of the Revolutionary War, brought his family from Maryland to a spot quite near the present town of Loretto, and there planted the first permanent settlement within the limits of what is now Cambria county.........From Taneytown, Md., the extreme limit of travel had hitherto been Conewago. The distance from this place to the spot chosen by Captain McGuire for his new abode was about 130 miles. In those days of frontier life such a journey could not be other than dangerous and daring. Through wild, unbroken forests, on horseback, with no beaten path to guide them, and through brushwood so thick that a passage had to be cut as they slowly advanced, did the captain and his family travel to what is now Cambria County. The exact spot chosen by him for a settlement was the valley just below the present town of Loretto to the east. In a short time a few log cabins were built, and these served for shelter and protection until more permanent structures could be erected. This land is now part of the tract owned by the Franciscan Brothers. Some scarcely distinguishable marks of excavations for the foundations of the log cabins, and a few old apple trees, the most of which were uprooted during the terrible wind storm of May 16th, of the current year (1899), were for a long period the only visible signs to designate this historic spot. But it was verily here that the strong arms of the stalwart captain and his brave sons laid the foundations of "McGuire's Settlement," and of the prosperous community that arose and flourished from such humble beginnings. In 1790 Luke McGuire, eldest son of the captain, took up his residence on the farm now owned and cultivated by his grandson, George Luke McGuire, about one-half mile east of Loretto, on the road leading to the town of Gallitzin. This point was not far from the original cabin, and is distinguished as being the location of the oldest house now standing in Cambria County. Completed in 1794 it was first occupied by Luke McGuire and his newly wedded wife, Margaret O'Hara, and in it they reared a family of eleven children. Standing more than one hundred years this house still defies the fierce storms of the Alleghenies, is still well preserved, and has ever since its construction served as a domicile for the family and descendants of Luke McGuire, son of Captain Michael. Some years later, Richard, a younger son of the captain, also located and built in the same vicinity. From 1758 until 1768 the line of Indian reservation followed the line between the present counties of Somerset and Bedford, Cambria, and Blair, to the corner of Center, Blair and Cambria, from which point it passed eastward and joined the Susquehanna. In 1768 the purchase was extended to a line following from the western boundary of Pennsylvania up the Ohio and Allegheny rivers to Kittanning; thence eastward by a line to Canoe Place (afterwards called Cherry Tree, and lately Grant), from which spot, now marked by a beautiful monument, the line followed the west branch of the Susquehanna, thence in a northeasterly direction into Bradford County, joining the Pennsylvania - New York boundary where the north branch enters the state from New York. Cambria County was included in this purchase. Until after this treaty with the Indians no land was patented within these lines. When the land office was opened Captain McGuire was among those who "took up" land on which he subsequently planted the "McGuire Settlement." His first, and for several years his only neighbors, were the settlers at Blair's Mills, more than twelve miles away, with a dense, unbroken forest between. Captain Michael lost no time in providing for the future spiritual needs of his family and of his settlement. Being a devout Catholic his first and greatest desire seemed to be that of firmly establishing the Church in the new location. He had taken up a large tract of land, 400 acres of which he made over to Bishop Carroll (brother of Charles Carroll, of Carrollton, the last survivor of the signers of the Declaration of Independence) for the establishment of religion and the maintenance of resident clergy. On this land now stands the brick church of St. Michael and pastoral residence; the monument of Father Gallitzin, his chapel and stone house which served as the pastoral residence until 1874; St. Francis' College, and The Children's Home, formerly St. Aloysius' Academy. On the same tract also stood the old log church (the first building dedicated to the worship of God between Lancaster, Pa., and St. Louis), erected in 1799, enlarged to double its capacity in 1808, and in 1817 replaced by a frame building 40 x 80 feet, which was used as the parish church until 1854; also the log house of Father Gallitzin, replaced in 1832 by St. Mary's Chapel and the old log barn. In 1891 the chapel was taken down and rebuilt of the same material, thus making it practically the same as before; but the barn and the frame church, entirely dilapidated by the ravages of time and the weather, were razed to the ground. The area of the church was enclosed and laid out in burial lots, the sanctuary part, where the first altar on the Alleghenies stood, being reserved for the interment of the resident clergy. About the year 1790, after Bishop Carroll had taken possession of the new See of Baltimore, the first erected in the United States, an effort was made to provide for the spiritual needs of "McGuire's Settlement." At least once, and probably twice, Father Brosius, who had accompanied the young Gallitzin to this country, visited the place, and upon one occasion set apart a portion of the land donated and consecrated it for a cemetery. Faithful and persevering during the half decade of pioneer mountain life, too brief a period in which to see even the commencement of the realization of his hopes, Captain Michael McGuire was all too soon called to his eternal reward. He died November 17, 1793, in the 76th year of his age, and was the first to be interred in the ground which he had donated for the purpose of a cemetery. After 111 years the fullness of his ambitious designs is fully realized. The little settlement that he founded on these rugged heights has grown into a populous and prosperous community, and his progeny has multiplied and filled the land. Many of his descendants of the sixth generation, as well as of the fifth and fourth, are living today. For many years his grave was marked by a large brown slab of mountain sandstone, on which a brief epitaph was sculptured; but later on this was replaced by a neat marble tombstone which bears this inscription.... served under George Washington during the Revolution. He was one of the earliest settles of this section, where he owned 2,000 acres of land. His son, Luke McGuire was the father of George L. McGuire, father of the subject of this sketch. Another son, Capt. Richard McGuire, served throughout the War of 1812.
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.