Note: Hans was christened on the nineteenth Sunday after Trinity, 1674. His godfather was Hans Jacob Zimmerman.
Hans Jacob was admitted to the Guild of Steelsmiths and Toolmakers of the Freundenberg District as a toolmaker on January 7, 1712.
"Hans Jacob Fischback" sold his house at Trupback in 1713 to his brother, Johannes Richter of Weidenau.
During the governorship of Alexander Spotswood from 1710 to 1722 iron ore deposits were discovered in what is now Northeast Orange County, Virginia. Prior to this time there had been no iron ore mining and production of iron products in the Colonies. All much needed items made of this metal were imported from England at great expense. The Governor fully realized that if this newly found and valuable resource could be mined and processed into farm implements, tools, household items, guns, etc. It would be of great benefit to the Colony.
Swiss promoter/developer Baron Von Graffenreid was engaged by Governor Spotswood to recruit immigrants fro the old Principality of Nassau-Siegen area, now a part of Westphalia, Germany to mine and process this newly found iron ore. This area of Germany, about forty-five miles East of Bonn, was selected because iron ore had been mined, processed and iron products manufactured ther for centuries.
Twelve families, consisting of forty-two individuals, with a knowledge of iron ore mining, processing and iron products manufacturing from the Nassau-Siegen area were persuaded to immigrate to the New World. Subject John Jacob Rector, his wife Elizabeth Fischback and their son John were one of these families.
In the Summer of 1713 the twelve families departed their German homeland for the New World. Their first stop was Maidstone, England. On arrival they found their promoter was without money or provisions for the voyage to America. During the Winter of 1713/1714 they worked to pay their own way and April 1714 landed not far from Williamsburg, Virginia; and then seat of government.
The settlers named their new home "Gemanna" in rememberance of their homeland and to honor Queen Anna of England. They cleared the forest and built their homes and a church. And for the first time in the New World they engaged in iron ore mining and processing and productino of iron products. The Government cut a road thru the forest into the area, built a fort and furnished two cannon and ammunition for protection against the Indians.
About 1720 the twelve Germanna families moved northward about nineteen miles into what is now Fauquier County, Virginia and settled on a tract of 1805 acres. The exact location is on Licking Run between Warrenton and Midland. Each family was granted 150 acres. They named their new community "Germantown."
John Jacob Rector, three of his four children and some of his grandchildren spent the remainder of their lives at, or near, Germantown.
Since schooling was compulsory in Germany at the time of his birth there, it is assumed John Jacob Rector was an educated person.
John Jacob Rector was an elder in the German Reformed Church, the great German branch of the Presbyterian family of churches.
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.