Guido (Gus) J. Ghio: Birth: 1868. Death: 1902
Marie Bell Ghio: Birth: 1871. Death: 1922
Victor A. Ghio: Birth: 1875. Death: 1955
Note: Anthony Louis Ghio, Sr. was born in Genoa, Italy. Although he was born with a linage behind him which possessed a coat of arms, which he was proud to display, his father a tutor and his grandfather holding a chair in a French Academy, Anthony absorbed all the American ideals and was truly and wholly an Americanized Italian who loved America with a devotion equal to that of any American born citizen. When he was only 17 years of age, Anthony came to America, landing at the port of New York. In that city, he found employment as a traveling salesman for a N. Y. firm, travelling principally in the South and the Caribbean Sea. He was in New Orleans and Shreveport, LA early in 1852. Later he went to St. Louis, MO, where he entered into business and after a short time there he returned to New York and again became a commercial traveller, making that city his headquarters. Anthony met the woman who would become his bride, Augusta Casassa, in Boston, MS. She would be the greatest influence of his life. Augusta was also born in the province of Genoa, Italy, but had been reared in Boston. From there, the Ghios went to Illinios, spending time in Cairo, Chicago before they made a much larger move to Jefferson, TX. In this Texas city, Mr. Ghio was successful at everything he undertook, and it was here he began to amass the fortune that he would eventually share with his devoted family and church. On December 8, 1873, when the first parcels of land were auctioned off in Texarkana, Mr. Ghio was one of the first to bid and buy both business and residential lots in Texarkana. In 1874, Mr. Ghio moved his family from Jefferson to Texarkana and he quickly established himself in a completely finished and furnished home at the corner of Third Street and Texas Avenue. It was here that several of their children were born. Mr. and Mrs. Ghio helped organize and establish the first Catholic church in Texarkana, TX and later, the first Catholic school. Their home was a frequent rendevous for the Bishops and visiting priests. In 1877 Mr. Ghio and Capt. F. M. Henry built the first opera house in Texarkana, which also was the first brick building to be erected in the city. It was located on the corner of Broad Street and Texas Avenue. In 1884 Mr. Ghio built a more eleborate theater, up-to-date and well appointed.
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.