Note: Buried in Sanger Cemetery. A man who served Sanger, Texas as Mayor three terms, was first elected in 1913, again in 1919 and a third time in 1921.
Thomas Henry was born in Columbus, Colorado County, Texas and after living in McKinney and Dallas, came to Sanger in 1900. His father's plantation was known as the "Nevada." It was there where he was born and learned the farming business. During the War Between the States, his father, Robert Jones, was in the employ of the Confederate States and became a scout, looking up deserters from the army and returning them to service. After the was, in 1865, the family located in Dallas and engaged in freighting in eastern Texas, his route being from Jefferson to Dallas. In 1872 he established a stage line running from Dallas to Ft.Worth, but the Texas and Pacific Railroad became his competition, and Mr. Jones traded the block of land he owned in what is now Dallas, at Pearl and San Jacinto, for a farm in Collin County. Robert Jones moved there with his family in 1874. Robert Jones, who died at 72, had acquired a fair fortune. His wife was Emily Coleman who had come to Dallas from her native Kentucky. Their Children were: Thomas Henry; Mollie Talkington of Waxahatchie; Robert L. of Sanger, theatre owner here; Lee Charles of Justin and M.J. of Ft.Worth. Thomas Henry Jones later became Mayor of Sanger, was a pupil of J.T. Chambers in Collin County. Dissatisfied with farming, he went to Dallas and worked in the mercantile business, returning to McKinney where he owned a wholesale grocery firm and combined that work with dealing in real estate. After five years he made the move to Sanger, ownig a grocery store and becomming a real estate dealer. As Meyor of Sanger he became interested in building sidewalks and improving streets, stressing lower taxes. He voted all elections, his first vote in a presidential election was for Grover Cleveland. T.H. Jones was a Master Mason, and belonged to the Knights of Pythias and Woodmen of the World. He was active in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. On August 9, 1881, T.H. Jones had married Virginia Lee Newman of McKinney. Her family had moved there from Virginia. Their children were: William Lawrence, who married Myra Martin, and their children were Bostic and Leona; Agthia Clevia, who died as a young person in Sanger; Ada Grace, who married Charles C. Pollard of Dallas, and they had two children, Clara May and Charles; Lettia, who married Jack Pritchett and had two children, T.H. and Virginia; Tommy Lee, who married John Parks, Jr. of Dallas. The T.H. Jones home stood at the northeast corner of Willow and 5th Streets. Their grocery store faced the park and was in the building now occupied by Cherry's Beauty Shop. (The Stoy of Sanger, 1886-1986, by Eunice Sullivan Gray, Sanger, Texas.)
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.