Note: N38779 Henry Hodgeson had leased the Hibernian Mining Company at Ballygahan by 1822 and in 1830 he established the Wicklow Copper Mining Co. at Ballymurtagh. Meanwhile Joseph Salkeld was also mining copper at Conary.
Henry Hodgeson was the owner of the Ballygahan mine and a major shareholder in the Ballymurtagh (Wicklow Copper Mine) mine. Originally he had owned both mines, but he established the Wicklow Copper Mine Co. to generate capital to fund the development of the mines.
AVOCA'S MINERAL TRAMWAY
Avoca's mineral tramway was developed by Henry Hodgeson to transport ore from the Ballygahan and Ballymurtagh minesites in West Avoca to the port at Arklow. Until the construction of the mineral tramway which commenced in 1847, ores were conveyed to Arklow in small carts each weighing about one ton. The tramway line was about eight miles long and extended from West Avoca to the south quay in Arklow. The D W & W Railway Co. track was constructed in the county across difficult inland terrain rather than along the simpler coastal route, specifically to join up with Hodgeson's tramway. The tramway and its stock was sold to the rail company in 1861 for £30,000.
Hodgeson also sponsored a poor law famine relief scheme which developed the port of Arklow, consequently he was responsible for the maintenance of the port until the local government act was passed. In an effort to maximise profits in the declining mineral market at the latter half of the 18th century, he developed the Arklow Chemical and Manure Works, securing the towns reputation in chemical related industries.
[I guess the following refers to his son, described as Henry Hodgson Junior in Burkes re Oliver family.]
More About HENRY HODGSON:
Lived at time of Marriage: Ballyraine Arklow Co Wicklow Ireland
More About HENRY HODGSON and MATTY OLIVER: Marriage: 1 July 1865, Castlemacadam Co Wicklow Ireland
Rugby School Register:
Hodgson Henry, son of Henry Hodgson, Esq. Ballyraine, Arklow, Co. Wicklow, aged 13, Jan. 29 1854 [born 1841, so 24 in 1865]; Arnold.
The Hodgson family came to Ireland from Whitehaven in Cumberland, England and were mine owners in Avoca, county Wicklow before they moved west in the mid 19th century. Pádraig Lane writes that they spent over £22,000 buying 2,800 acres in the Galway area from George F. O'Flahertie, Robert H. Eyre, William H. Gregory, Charles Blake, the Reverend T. Kelly and Christopher St. George. They mined copper and lead on their estate in the west of Ireland, which was mainly located in the parish of Kilcummin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway. By the time of Griffith's Valuation they held eleven townlands in the parish, some of which had previously belonged to the St George family. In 1852 Henry Hodgson bought Merlin Park from the sale of the estate of Charles Blake in the Encumbered Estates' Court. The Merlin Park estate of 1,109 acres, including the marble quarries at Dohiskey, and some land at Castle Waller (321 acres) in county Tipperary, were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1868 but it was not until 1876 that the Waithmans bought the Merlin Park estate. Henry Hodgson still owned over 17,000 acres in county Galway in the early 1870s. http://www.currarevagh.com/
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.