Individual Page

Marriage: Children:
  1. Person Not Viewable

  2. Person Not Viewable

  3. Janet Marie OWENS: Birth: DEC 1958. Death: DEC 1958

  4. Martha Elizabeth OWENS: Birth: MAR 1960. Death: MAR 1960

a. Note:   Copy: birth cert. #3130 SC Bamberg County, Olar, SC
 Girl Child not named 2-5-1922 Parents: John T. Staley, blacksmith of Orangeburg, SC and Letha Mae Lane, housewife of Orangeburg, SC
  Memories-my mother, Rosanne's, memories of her family:
 When the children were small, they lived in Lone Star, SC. There were two barn-like buildings; they lived in one and John used the other one for his shop. There were horses kept in the back of the building in which they lived. Momma remembers
 that a horse once stepped on her momma's foot. John was very strict with his children. Mae was very beautiful and it is said that John was extremely jealous. Mae was a very quiet, timid person. She rarely went out.
 Momma and I went to Lone Star in 1977 and talked to Julian Carson-he runs a small store there. He was 54 yrs. old at that time and has lived there all of his life. He remembered Momma when he saw her. He played with her when they were small.
 She last saw him when she was six years old. Mrs. Copeland was Momma's first grade teacher. When Momma was in the first grade and lived in Lone Star, she walked a mile to school. She saw a sewing machine head by the side of the road and played
 with it on the way to and from school. Her Momma also sewed all of the childrens clothes and she watched her. Julian remembered all of Momma's brothers and sisters; playing with them and going to school together.
 We saw Mrs. Hattie Vice, an old neighbor, (also in 1977). She remembered the Staleys, and recalled several incidents in their lives. Once, the principal at school had all the boys whitewashing the trees. Bill refused to do it and the principal
 whipped him. When Bill told his father, John, about it: John went after the principal with a shotgun-he had a hot temper- the sherrif intercepted him and locked him up before he got to the school..
 Another time, John shot Mrs. Hattie Vice's dog for getting after his chickens. Mrs. Vice said that they patched the dog up and kept him in their barn for a couple of weeks until he was well. John thought he had killed the dog and was right
 surprised to see him again. He told Hattie that he thought he was well rid of that damn dog.
 Mrs. Vice remembered that one time Richard swallowed a key when he was very small. Mae was scared to tell John about it, but the baby passed it alright.
 She also said that all the Staley children had the Whooping cough at one time. Her son mimicked them-she told him he was going to have his turn if he didn't stop.
 Momma recalls that all her brothers and sisters had the mumps at one time.
 The children used to wait in front of the house for their daddy to come home. When they could see him coming down the road, they would yell to see if they could run to meet him. If he nodded yes, they would race to see who could get there
 first. If he shook his head no, they made themselves scarce.
 Once, when they were running to meet him, Letha (nicknamed Leaky) ran into a post with a nail on it. It left a scar on her forehead.
 Tea said that they had a pony named Nat in Lone Star. John made a sulkie and they all went for rides in it.
 Once John made rocking chairs for all the Wiles children.
 He planted wheat one year. They threshed it at home, and had loads of flour that year. They also had peanut gardens.
 The family moved to Megget when Momma was about 7 yrs. old. (1929) She remembers going to the third grade in Megget; several weeks later, they moved her back to the second grade and it really upset her. Leaky and Tea were acrobats for Field Day
 at school in Megget-fifth grade(1929) John wouldn't let them wear shorts as they were too immodest, so Mae put elastic around the legs of their shorts so that they could participate. There were all kinds of games and races for Field Day-potato
 races. Mae made all the children bathing suits just alike. They would take a little rowboat out to the fishing pond. John Thomas Jr. once caught a fishhook in his hand. Richard got bit on the toe by a crab. There was an Oyster factory in
 Megget; They got fresh oysters from it.
 John hunted a great deal: for doves and marsh hens.Mae made bird pies.
 1935 Richard put a firecracker in his mouth when he was about nine years old and blew his mouth up..
 Kellar Carr-John's nephew, used to come by to see Mae and the children. Momma always thought a lot of Cousin Kellar and in later years after his death, she kept in touch with his daughter, Mary Jeanne Carr Watson who also lived in Sumter.
 Once he took all the kids to Charleston at Christmas time and gave them each $.25 to spend. Momma bought a little celluloid doll with her $.25. Later, Tea got made at her and stuck a match to the doll and burned it up.
 Tea remembers trading Momma something she had for a little china doll in a purple wicker basket. She kept it for years. One of Rose's cats knocked it off a table and broke it.
 Tea lived with Aunt Rose and Uncle Sam Wainwright from the time that she was about six years old until she was 14 or 15 yrs. old. She came home to visit several times a year.
 Several years later, the Staley family moved to Orangeburg and lived in the house with Grandfather Lane that he had built. They lived with him until after John died in 1934. Mae's father also died in 1934. Rosanne took Home Economics in school
 and started to learn sewing at that time. In 1939, Momma quit school to help take care of her mother, Letha Mae Lane Staley, who had had a stroke. The family stayed in Grandfather Lane's house until 1941 when Clifford and Rosanne were
 Clifford and Rosanne met at a dance in Orangeburg, SC. They used to dance very well and once won a jitterbug contest.
 Times & Democrat Feb. 1, 1941 (Sat.): Married: Miss Rosanne Staley...daughter of Mrs. Mae Staley, to Mr. Clifford Owens of Sumter and Orangeburg, on Jane. 5th at Orangeburg. (Typo-they were actually married on Jan. 25, 1941).
 After their marriage, they lived in Columbia, SC for several years, moved to Sumter in 1945 after the birth of their first daughter, Jimmie Anne; lived in an apartment on Loring Place, second daughter, Sallie was born in Sumter Aug. 1946, then
 moved to a small house on Canal St. built by Dr. Lawson (Lawson's Drug Store). Momma hired a black girl named Rosalie to come in and keep us while she worked at Johnson's Dry Cleaners, their neighbors were Dennis Elmore and his wife and
 daughter, Sylvia. When Sallie was a little over a year old, we moved back to Columbia,circa 1947. Sallie had a health problem; she was diagnosed with a goiter on her neck (a lump that was getting bigger and bigger) A friend of Momma's said to
 take her to see Dr. Durham, a specialist in Columbia. He said that she needed immediate surgury which he performed. She was almost two years old and could not walk; three days after the surgery, she was walking. Momma and Daddy had no medical
 insurance to pay for the operation; Dr. Durham only charged them $25.00 for the operation. The family stayed in Columbia for quite a few years before moving to Sumter permanently in 1957. They rented a house from Jimmy Shuler on Broad St. We
 had a grape arbor in the back yard. Sallie and I used to hide in it. We also had fig trees. Momma started sewing for us at home when we were small. Then one of her neighbors asked her to make some dresses for her. Word got around and she was
 sewing for quite a few people. Circa 1960, She was contacted by Mrs. Clara House who had a sewing shop on Main St. above the Singer Store. She asked her to come in to the shop and share expenses, which Momma did. They stayed together for quite
 a few years, until Mrs. House moved to Charleston. Momma then opened Rosannes Sewing Shop on Broad St. and later moved to the Colony Square Shopping Center on Bultman Dr. About 1970, I went to work with Momma at the sewing shop. We shared the
 work and expenses. Momma is an excellent seamstress and worked until 2004 when she retired at the age of 82.
 Momma & Daddy later moved to a house on Broad Ct.; about 1959, stayed there for a couple of years and then bought a house from Bill and Marsha Bartlette on Glendale Court. They lived there for 18 years; then sold it and built a house on Hwy. 15
 South about 1979; stayed there four years; sold it and built the same house again in town at 4 Ashley St. Sumter, SC (Momma had decided she did not like living in the country. So Daddy moved her back to town. Daddy passed away in 1995 and Momma
 lived there until the fall of 2004. She then moved to McElveen Manor, an assisted living home. is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.